Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifts, Bumpers, etc

Old 01-22-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Jeep Family
You are in the exact predicament as I am. I think I am going with the Jeep OEM 2" lift. At least it is approved by Jeep. More dealer friendly. It's all I need or want. Drive too much on the road.
The Mopar 2" lift is not OEM. The kit is from Mopar Performance, and is a rebranded aftermarket kit. It is also not warranteed.

Quote from the 2011 Mopar Performance Catalog:

"NO PARTS WARRANTY – “AS IS”
Mopar Performance parts beginning with a “P” prefix are sold “as is” unless otherwise noted. This means that parts sold by Mopar Performance carry no warranty whatsoever. Implied warranties, such as warranties of merchantability, are excluded. (An implied warranty of merchantability means that the part is reasonably fit for the
general purpose for which it was sold). The entire risk as to quality and performance of such parts is with the buyer. Should such parts prove defective following their purchase, the buyer and not the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repair. Chrysler, Jeep® , Dodge and Ram vehicle
and parts warranties are voided if the vehicle or parts are used for competition. The addition of performance parts does not by itself void a vehicle’s warranty. However, added performance parts (parts not originally supplied on the vehicle from the factory) are not covered by the vehicle’s warranty, and any failure that they may cause is also
not covered by the vehicle’s warranty.

The 2" lifts are P5155789 or P5155207 depending on whether you have the hydro or Billstein shocks. The dealer may choose to warranty it, but Chrysler will not.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

My Jeep will end up doing 85% pavement and maybe 15% offroad duty....

That being said after modifying multiple Mustang suspensions many times over I have learned when it comes to suspension mod's and install's its best to do things right the first time around and take your bloody time installing the parts and making sure you are getting it right the first time. Stop and ask questions if you have to. Same goes for those getting shops to install their parts. Even more important for folks paying to have their suspension parts installed since it saves on labor costs.

Getting the right suspension parts the first time around saves you a lot of hassle and provides a certain peace of mind. People that want to cut corners when it comes to suspension parts IMHO should leave their suspension alone at factory specs... I would know as I use to be one of those guys, lol.

Even though I am not hardcore off-roader and new to Jeeps I am acclimating to the Jeep lifestyle quite well and love the look of bigger tires and lift as much as its functionality to go out and have fun on the trails...

So I decided the best way to go for my self suspension wise to support 35" tires is:

- 2.5" Teraflex Coil lift with Shocks - lifts your Jeep properly

- Teraflex Adjustable front trackbar - allows you to adjust axle centre after lift

- Teraflex Adjustable front lower control arms - allows you to adjust caster after lift

- JKS disconnects - allows you more travel when wheeling

When you lift your Jeep make sure you follow the write ups on here and adjust the "toe-in" and "steering centre".

^^^ With all those adjustments made and parts installed you should have a lifted Jeep with the look you want and know that your suspension is setup right the way it should be.

Personally I think I will also get longer steel braided brake lines as well and maybe even get a Fox steering stabilizer kit as it seems the steering stabilizer and/or the front trackbar is usually to blame when it comes to DW issues on lifted Jeeps.

On a side note, for those that have lifted and added new wheels/tires at the same time.... did you folks get a wheel alignment done? If I understand correctly the camber on the Jeeps is not adjustable?

Last edited by Wrangler_Jay; 01-22-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wrangler_Jay
My Jeep will end up doing 85% pavement and maybe 15% offroad duty....

That being said after modifying multiple Mustang suspensions many times over I have learned when it comes to suspension mod's and install's its best to do things right the first time around and take your bloody time installing the parts and making sure you are getting it right the first time. Stop and ask questions if you have to. Same goes for those getting shops to install their parts. Even more important for folks paying to have their suspension parts installed since it saves on labor costs.

Getting the right suspension parts the first time around saves you a lot of hassle and provides a certain peace of mind. People that want to cut corners when it comes to suspension parts IMHO should leave their suspension alone at factory specs... I would know as I use to be one of those guys, lol.

Even though I am not hardcore off-roader and new to Jeeps I am acclimating to the Jeep lifestyle quite well and love the look of bigger tires and lift as much as its functionality to go out and have fun on the trails...

So I decided the best way to go for my self suspension wise to support 35" tires is:

- 2.5" Teraflex Coil lift with Shocks - lifts your Jeep properly

- Teraflex Adjustable front trackbar - allows you to adjust axle centre after lift

- Teraflex Adjustable front lower control arms - allows you to adjust caster after lift

- JKS disconnects - allows you more travel when wheeling

When you lift your Jeep make sure you follow the write ups on here and adjust the "toe-in" and "steering centre".

^^^ With all those adjustments made and parts installed you should have a lifted Jeep with the look you want and know that your suspension is setup right the way it should be.

Personally I think I will also get longer steel braided brake lines as well and maybe even get a Fox steering stabilizer kit as it seems the steering stabilizer and/or the front trackbar is usually to blame when it comes to DW issues on lifted Jeeps.

On a side note, for those that have lifted and added new wheels/tires at the same time.... did you folks get a wheel alignment done? If I understand correctly the camber on the Jeeps is not adjustable?
My toe needed adjusting after lift and tires.

I would also add in bumpstops to the list. You have to pull the coils off to add them in front, so if you are changing coils good time to do them.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hawnted
I have a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited, Auto, 3.73 gears. I do mild trails only, and drive 80-90 miles a day on the interstate. I am getting Cooper STT 295/70R17 Tires on Monday (this is as big as I will ever go), I just received my ProComp 7069 Rims, 17x9 with 4.75 BS. I love the look of a 2.5-3" lift, but I DO NOT want to regear, replace driveshafts, or spend a ton of money on extra parts due to the fact that I do not wheel hard or often.

I have looked at getting everything from a leveling kit to a TF 2.5 Kit with Trackbars. I am pretty much tossing the idea of a leveling kit due to the fact that it does not achieve the look I am after. I am also considering abandoning the TF 2.5 Coil kit because it seems to give too much lift and you have to start spending quite a bit of money setting it up right.
With a 2.5" lift and 33's on an unlimited, you should not need to regear. Especially if you have the tow package like it says in you profile. The tow package comes with 4.10 gears!!! There is also no need to replace your driveshafts, they should be fine. Also, the TF 2.5" coil kit is not really that expensive. I got mine with shock adapters from Northridge for a tad over $400. I got about 3" of lift in the front and 2.25" rear. Just enough to take away the rake. Although new adj. trackbars and control arms are nice, they are not a necessity with this lift. I don't have either and my jeep drives fine. Though, down the road, if I have some extra cash I may get them just to make the ride even better.

As for your front end sagging when you add a bumper, it all will depend on which bumper you go with. The stock bumper weighs about 40 lbs. Aftermarket bumpers range anywhere from less than stock to over 100 lbs, not including a winch.

EDIT: I just saw that the tow package no longer comes with 4.10 gears, so disregard that statement above. Still, you should be fine with 33's on 3.73's.

Last edited by dcharge74; 01-22-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcharge74
The tow package comes with 4.10 gears!!!
Are you sure? When building my jeep when you add a tow package it says it adds 3.73 gears.

EDIT: Just found it. For the 2011:

Trailer Tow Group: Hitch receiver, 4-Pin Wiring Connector, 3.73 axle ratio.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Are you sure? When building my jeep when you add a tow package it says it adds 3.73 gears.

EDIT: Just found it. For the 2011:

Trailer Tow Group: Hitch receiver, 4-Pin Wiring Connector, 3.73 axle ratio.
Yea, I just read that too. They must have changed that for '11's. Already edited my post. Sorry.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi

Does anyone know the net weight gain of the average bumper (no winch)? If not, what is the weight of the stock bumper and I figure it out from there.
Stock bumper - 15lbs at most...seriously...it is all plastic

Front bumper probably looking at:
full width - 100-135lbs without winch
middy- 65-100lbs without winch

your stock coils will sag...look at coil lift! Yes you will spend more money but you are beefing up components. Also, over time it will save you some $$$ in your pocket going to a coil vs BB. If you decide to get a winch your coils will handle it and if you go up to 35's you can add a rear bumper/tire carrier and the coils will handle the weight.

I made the mistake of going to a BB and regretted not going straight to a coil spring lift as the mod bug just continues. But I wanted bumpers and winch and my coils sag and BB was useless with the stock coils. Also, I thought 33's would be the biggest...but I am going to 35's.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Stock bumper - 15lbs at most...seriously...it is all plastic

Front bumper probably looking at:
full width - 100-135lbs without winch
middy- 65-100lbs without winch

your stock coils will sag...look at coil lift! Yes you will spend more money but you are beefing up components. Also, over time it will save you some $$$ in your pocket going to a coil vs BB. If you decide to get a winch your coils will handle it and if you go up to 35's you can add a rear bumper/tire carrier and the coils will handle the weight.

I made the mistake of going to a BB and regretted not going straight to a coil spring lift as the mod bug just continues. But I wanted bumpers and winch and my coils sag and BB was useless with the stock coils. Also, I thought 33's would be the biggest...but I am going to 35's.
Is the actual height gained on the TF 2.5 coil kit equal to, or greater than, the OME Medium 2" kit? Anyone know?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Jedi

Is the actual height gained on the TF 2.5 coil kit equal to, or greater than, the OME Medium 2" kit? Anyone know?
My guess the 2.5" TF coil will give more lift than the OME MD kit. But not sure if TF is advertising the correct height now?. I now last spring when I was looking, the 2.5" TF would give + 3" of lift. The 2" OME HD gave me 3.25" of lift with winch and bumpers. It would be best to contact TF or Northridge to get an idea of lift ht to expect.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
My guess the 2.5" TF coil will give more lift than the OME MD kit. But not sure if TF is advertising the correct height now?. I now last spring when I was looking, the 2.5" TF would give + 3" of lift. The 2" OME HD gave me 3.25" of lift with winch and bumpers. It would be best to contact TF or Northridge to get an idea of lift ht to expect.
Like I posted before, my TF lift gave me an average of just over 2.5".(3" front-2.25" rear) I have a 4dr with a hardtop. Now if you were to put this same lift on a 2dr with a soft top, I'm sure it would end up giving you more lift. I also noticed on Northridge's website that TF now offers a 2.5" lift for both a 2dr AND a 4dr. I don't think that was available when I bought mine, nor do I know which one mine is equivilent to. Like Triplejeep_99 said, your best bet is to contact Joe at Teraflex(username Teraflex) or Dave from Northridge(username Northridge4x4).

Quick Reply: Lifts, Bumpers, etc