Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifts, Bumpers, etc

Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifts, Bumpers, etc

I have a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited, Auto, 3.73 gears. I do mild trails only, and drive 80-90 miles a day on the interstate. I am getting Cooper STT 295/70R17 Tires on Monday (this is as big as I will ever go), I just received my ProComp 7069 Rims, 17x9 with 4.75 BS. I love the look of a 2.5-3" lift, but I DO NOT want to regear, replace driveshafts, or spend a ton of money on extra parts due to the fact that I do not wheel hard or often.

I have looked at getting everything from a leveling kit to a TF 2.5 Kit with Trackbars. I am pretty much tossing the idea of a leveling kit due to the fact that it does not achieve the look I am after. I am also considering abandoning the TF 2.5 Coil kit because it seems to give too much lift and you have to start spending quite a bit of money setting it up right. That leaves me with the TF BB. The BB sounds like the perfect choice EXCEPT, aI want to add an ARB bumper. I will NOT be adding a winch, but a bumper for sure. Will the bumper alone make me sag too much so that I will need to spend money on the coils down the road? If so, I will just do it up right with the OME or TF kit, even thought I do not wheel enough to probably require a coil kit. Although, if I can avoid the extra expense it would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by Hawnted; 01-21-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

You are in the exact predicament as I am. I think I am going with the Jeep OEM 2" lift. At least it is approved by Jeep. More dealer friendly. It's all I need or want. Drive too much on the road.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

what does the jeep oem 2" lift cost installed? is it a body or suspension?
thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a dealear nearby that is OK with lifts so not considering the Mopar lift. It is $1500 and is just a re-branded RE Lift. I have a good idea of my choices, I am just trying to figure out, will JUST a bumper (no winch) sag the BB lift too much so that I need to go with a coil lift off the bat?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

but I DO NOT want to regear, replace driveshafts, or spend a ton of money on extra parts due to the fact that I do not wheel hard or often.
?? The money for ca's and trackbars and re-gearing and steering correction is for On-Road handling, not off-road. Longer shocks, disconnects, coil-overs, armor, etc - that stuff is for off-road.

295/70R17 Tires on Monday (this is as big as I will ever go),
Riigghhttt.....

Will the bumper alone make me sag too much so that I will need to spend money on the coils down the road?
It's a judgment call. Yes, the stock coils will be compressed. Yes, you would be better off with new coils. But you can get by with adding spacers. It just won't be optimal. I would suggest actually installing the new bumper so you can see how much the coils will sag before you get to far into the lift purchase decision.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default Extended Warranty Approved 2" Mopar Lift

I'm in the same situation as the original poster. My Jeep is my daily driver and is used to tow our camper- often! The only "off roading" I do pertains to camping and hunting trips.

I have met with my dealer to discuss whether or not a dealer-installed, 2" Mopar lift, up-sized tires (275s or 285s), and aftermarket bumpers (LoD probably) would affect my lifetime extended warranty coverage. I was informed that the dealer would put it IN WRITING, that such modifications would in no way adversley affect my coverage. This bumper-to-bumper warranty has more than paid for itself already (and even provides for a rental), and I have no intention of risking losing the coverage.

The Mopar 2" lift kit runs $1,500 whether purchased from the dealer or an outside vender like Quadratec. Dealer installation of the kit will run another $400-ish. While going this route will initially cost $400-$600 more compared to a non-Mopar lift kit, in the long run $400-$600 is insignificant. This amount will easily be absorbed by having the next couple of warranty item repaired at no cost to me.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im fairly certain you would only need to regear if you start getting into the huge tires. Of course anyone can regear at anytime, buy I'm running 285/75r16s on a 2010 stock wrangler with no problems and no need to regear. You might want to grab a reprogrammer but you gotta careful there too. My dealership said if you get that mods anything but tire size it will
Void the warranty. I couldn't bring myself to pay $1500 for the OEM lift when there are 4" lifts around the same price. Check out BDS lifts. As for never going with larger tires, that's what I said too and now I'm trying to piece everything together I need for 37s as soon an my warranty is out.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rusman161
Im fairly certain you would only need to regear if you start getting into the huge tires. Of course anyone can regear at anytime, buy I'm running 285/75r16s on a 2010 stock wrangler with no problems and no need to regear. You might want to grab a reprogrammer but you gotta careful there too. My dealership said if you get that mods anything but tire size it will
Void the warranty. I couldn't bring myself to pay $1500 for the OEM lift when there are 4" lifts around the same price. Check out BDS lifts. As for never going with larger tires, that's what I said too and now I'm trying to piece everything together I need for 37s as soon an my warranty is out.
Yes, I am pretty certain my other choices leave me in a position where I would not have to regear (although it would not hurt). I think nthinuf was right, really the only way I am going to know about just a bumper is to install it prior to lift.

Does anyone know the net weight gain of the average bumper (no winch)? If not, what is the weight of the stock bumper and I figure it out from there.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Riigghhttt.....
Lol, your right, maybe I should have said I want to plan this lift as if I will never go bigger because I have no plans to currently..

Here are all the lifts I have considered

TF Leveling Kit - $135 - Not really the look I am going for
RC 2.5" Coil Lift - $329 w/ 2.2 Shocks - Mixed reviews, still looking at this
TF 2.5 BB - $348 w/ Shock Adaptors - One of the better options, worried about bumper (no winch)
TF Coil Leveling Kit - $400 - Might as well go coil lift at this point
TF 2.5" Coil Lift - $497 w/ Shock Adaptors - Probably what I will end up with because of bumper
TF 2.5 BB - $523 w/ Shocks - If I spend this much I would go 2.5 coil
OME 2" Lift w/ Medium Springs - $639 w/ Shocks and Coils - Would save me from upgrading the shocks later and get it all (with the exception of track bars etc) done now
TF 2.5" Coil Lift - $700 w/ Shocks - I would have to decide btw OME and TF at this price point, but not looking to spend this much now if I can avoid it
OME 2" Lift - $875 w/ Shocks, Coils, Track Bars - Would wait on track bars to see if I needed them

Last edited by Hawnted; 01-22-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hawnted
Lol, your right, maybe I should have said I want to plan this lift as if I will never go bigger because I have no plans to currently..

Here are all the lifts I have considered

TF Leveling Kit - $135 - Not really the look I am going for
RC 2.5" Coil Lift - $329 w/ 2.2 Shocks - Mixed reviews, still looking at this
TF 2.5 BB - $348 w/ Shock Adaptors - One of the better options, worried about bumper (no winch)
TF Coil Leveling Kit - $400 - Might as well go coil lift at this point
TF 2.5" Coil Lift - $497 w/ Shock Adaptors - Probably what I will end up with because of bumper
TF 2.5 BB - $523 w/ Shocks - If I spend this much I would go 2.5 coil
OME 2" Lift w/ Medium Springs - $639 w/ Shocks and Coils - Would save me from upgrading the shocks later and get it all (with the exception of track bars etc) done now
TF 2.5" Coil Lift - $700 w/ Shocks - I would have to decide btw OME and TF at this price point, but not looking to spend this much now if I can avoid it
OME 2" Lift - $875 w/ Shocks, Coils, Track Bars - Would wait on track bars to see if I needed them
Mt Plan is to get the RC BB 2.5 series II kit ....$180.00

Quick Reply: Lifts, Bumpers, etc