Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lifts and adjustable control arms?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rock Krawler... much appreciated. I did check out the Max Travel kit on your website, and is also on my consideration list.

of course, still so many choices and options. my decision seems to get hard and harder by the minute...

LOL
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gint2
so to understand this... if the lift is under 4" adj track bar and bracket should be done, if under 4" just an adj track bar. Could one add a bracket with an adj track bar on a 3 - 3.5" lift or would that cause other issues and be a waste of $$.
I was thinking both would 1) center the axle 2) improve stability.
you could do this on a 3"-3.5" lift but, depending on the adjustable track bar you use, you could end up with too much correction causing your axle to shift the other way. the relocation bracket alone will do a lot of axle recentering alone and you may find that the track bar cannot be shortend enough. but, like anything, i would save your money and spend it only as is needed. i think you will find that at 3"-3.5", your jeep drives and handles just fine without it. if not, do something about it then.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gint2
is there a difference in handling or "Roll Center" be using a bracket vs track bar? There is a lift out there that claims their brackets secured to the axle tube lower the roll center as opposed to a track bar that raises it.
Here are my thoughts on the issue you ask about. I do want to clarify I am an Electrical engineer not a mechanical or automotive. For your reference you can read a pdf at this link...(you may want some asprin after reading it)

http://www.neohio-scca.org/comp_clin...namics2007.pdf

But I will try to briefly explain the concept and how is applies directly to your question.

The "roll center" is more crucial in a high speed situation; you have more lateral force (sideways) at high speed than in low speed, or no speed, situation. Obviously, our JKs are not high speed units.

The most crucial measurement is the angle but the SAE defines it as a height. In plain English, the more angle the track bar has the more likely the vehicle is to roll (let me finish). The best is to have the track bar and the axle on the same plane; this is the most rigid set-up. Great then just add brackets, right?? NO...The brackets have disadvantages like increasing the leverage of the force; this is why they are prone to fail. Also, if you bracket down or up the tack bar then, you (may) decrease the amount of suspension travel available.

So in a nut shell, when you raise a vehicle to improve off-road capability you DECREASE on-road. This is the nature of the beast. So, what we do is compromise. Unless you go with a heavy duty bracket that will not fail it is better to have an adjustable track bar. But, once you get over a certain height (because the higher you go the more increase in angle of the track bar) you do need brackets.

To recap, the problem with brackets is they are more likely to bend or break and only have a set-measurement or, a rough adjustment if there are multiple mounting holes. An adjustable track bar allows for fine adjustment.

I'll go back to your post.... the proper wording would be “a bracket lowers the angle of roll center and a longer track bar increase the angle". The rub is if we increase the angle it will allow for more articulation but decrease stability.

Here is the answer to your question “is there a difference in handling or ‘Roll Center’ be using a bracket vs track bar?” for OUR application under 4" of lift a longer adjustable track bar is better, over 4" you need to buy heavy duty bracket AND have an adjustable track bar. The key is with less than 4" the roll center angle of just a longer track bar is in an acceptable range for our usage.

This part you did not ask but it does have bearing on handling. If you understand all of what I just wrote then here is one more tidbit. The sway bar is to equalize the lateral forces created in a turn. These forces are increased as you increase the angle and amount of leverage acting on the frame. So if you increase the roll angle then the sway bar becomes more important in a linear fashion. See why they make duel rate sway bars and ways to disconnect them totally?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

damn toymaster, nice job
Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by renpia
I have the same kit that I installed myself. Do it yourself and you'll be glad you did. I would install the control arms at the same time because this kit uses cam bolts to adjust castor and you DON'T want to use those. I bought the LCA's and installed them from the get go. I also bought the adj track bar with the kit and installed it a little later.
RENPIA: I tried to PM you but your box is full. this was my question. Thanks

I think I have decided to buy the front LCAs and the front adj Track bar. The write ups that i have found seem to think that the relo bracket on the rear is enough. What did you buy/add and how do you like it? Interstate travel?? Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mattgt5
RENPIA: I tried to PM you but your box is full. this was my question. Thanks

I think I have decided to buy the front LCAs and the front adj Track bar. The write ups that i have found seem to think that the relo bracket on the rear is enough. What did you buy/add and how do you like it? Interstate travel?? Thanks
PM sent.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TXJfrosty
yup... on lake erie
Did you ride away from that invert or was it spectacular carnage?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
a track bar bracket secured to the axle tube WILL RAISE your track bar and, on a 4" lift, this will help improve your handling or roll center. please note that you MUST install a dropped pitman arm or drag link flip at the same time as failure to do this would put your track bar and draglink at uneven angles and this will CAUSE handling issues. an adjustable track bar alone will only help you to recenter your axle and, for a 3" lift or lower, it's all you really need.
front or rear?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Jedi

He is talking about the front. It is important to keep the drag link and track bar paralell and both as close to paralell to the axle as possible. This will keep your Jeep handling well and help keep the ESP from kicking in
Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

i have a 09 Rubicon Unlimited and am looking to get the Terflex 2.5" Coil Lift. would i be ok with just a front adj track bar. do i also need a rear adj track bar and/or front lower control arms thansk for the help

Quick Reply: lifts and adjustable control arms?