Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lifts and adjustable control arms?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:01 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mattgt5
If you buy the adj track bars and control arms after the fact, are they hard to install? I have a 4" Pro Comp stage 1 kit, no new track bars or control arms. Dave at NR recommended adj track bars for Front and rear and adj front lower control arms. I am not a weekly wheeler and this is my dd. I am wondering if I should install these bars and arms when i put the lift on and do it in one shot?? Any links to some good videos or write ups on installing a lift? I am going to venture to do it myself.
no, they are not hard to install and you can add them at any time. at 4", yes, you really should have at minimum, adjustable front and rear track bars if you really don't already. here are a couple of links that should help you out:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I would assume that the aftermarket adj control arms would install like the ones included on that TF long arm kit?? And that witht eh adj track bars you do not sue the relo brackets? Thanks for the help
Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Thanks. I would assume that the aftermarket adj control arms would install like the ones included on that TF long arm kit?? And that witht eh adj track bars you do not sue the relo brackets? Thanks for the help
the link i posted was for teraflex but not their long arm kit. it was just their standard flexarm kit. having said that, yes, it would install the same way and, if you're jeep is lifted 3" or less, no, a relocation bracket is not needed. however, if your jeep is lifted 4" or taller, you would want to install BOTH the relocation bracket AND adjustable track bar. again, you would also NEED to install a dropped pitman arm or drag link flip at the same time when doing this.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy the adj track bars and control arms after the fact, are they hard to install? I have a 4" Pro Comp stage 1 kit, no new track bars or control arms. Dave at NR recommended adj track bars for Front and rear and adj front lower control arms. I am not a weekly wheeler and this is my dd. I am wondering if I should install these bars and arms when i put the lift on and do it in one shot?? Any links to some good videos or write ups on installing a lift? I am going to venture to do it myself.
I have the same kit that I installed myself. Do it yourself and you'll be glad you did. I would install the control arms at the same time because this kit uses cam bolts to adjust castor and you DON'T want to use those. I bought the LCA's and installed them from the get go. I also bought the adj track bar with the kit and installed it a little later.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's all awesome information guys, and very helpful. If I cannot swing the full suspension lift I want (complete with adjustable track bar and control arms), I may just rock a 2.5"" BB for a while. Until I can afford a real lift.

I don't like the idea of doing it half assed and have issues.

one more question... do I need longer sway bar end links with a 2.5" BB?

Last edited by TXJfrosty; 02-08-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by TXJfrosty
that's all awesome information guys, and very helpful. If I cannot swing the full suspension lift I want (complete with adjustable track bar and control arms), I may just rock a 2.5"" BB for a while. Until I can afford a real lift.

nothing wrong with rockin a 2.5" BB. i've done it and know plenty of guys who are still doing it and doing trails like the rubicon with it. if nothing else, working with less will make you a better wheeler
Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
nothing wrong with rockin a 2.5" BB. i've done it and know plenty of guys who are still doing it and doing trails like the rubicon with it. if nothing else, working with less will make you a better wheeler
very cool. Thanks man...
Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJfrosty

TeraFlex 2.5" kits come with new rear links, then you reuse the rear links in the front.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
TeraFlex 2.5" kits come with new rear links, then you reuse the rear links in the front.
that's awesome! Thanks man...
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It might be out of your budget, but alot of dealers/wholesalers are selling our Max. Travel System for $999 which is a great value for what the system comes with. This way, you are not left wanting more at the 2.5" lift height. You nail down everything right the first time.

At 2.5" of lift you really can't do a track bar mount at the axle that raises the track bar without having very limited up travel! Then to add the drag link flip that would more than likely be required would also be difficult to clear under the frame! Once you start getting above 3.5" of lift, like Wayoflife said, those items really start coming into play.

Good Luck with your build.

RK

Quick Reply: lifts and adjustable control arms?