Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lifts and adjustable control arms?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifts and adjustable control arms?

question:

why do some lifts come with adjustable controls and other don't? Looked at a 3" BDS lift, doesn't have them, but other 3" lifts do... same with 2.5" BB's - i've seen some with adjustable control arms and some without.

never installed a lift before, and I've been debating what to get. But I'd like to understand this more.

I got a quote for a 3" BDS lift... which didn't include the adjustable control arms. I was told I didn't need them. actually was told i didn't need an adjustable track bar either.

been considering:
2.5" Rock Krawler BB
2.5" TF BB
3" BDS suspension lift
RC 2.5" BB

so many options... confusing...
Old 02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically as I understand this, the kits that don't have control arms probably use a cam bolt to adjust castor. IMO, control arms are the better way to adjust castor. Cam bolts can come loose and move. An adjustable track bar is recommended also. You need this to center your axle once you lift your vehicle. I bought a kit that did not have control arms or adj track bar and I ended up buying them on top of the lift I bought. The more expensive kits are more money but they are more complete. If you go with the lesser kit, you can probabley get by if you don't wheel all that much but once you start hitting more difficult trails, you start to figure out what additional parts you need and how incomplete the kit really is.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

why do some lifts come with adjustable controls and other don't?
Price

People that don't have a clue see a 5" lift for $300, or a 3" lift for $1500, and automatically choose based on the awesome deal they get...
Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

makes sense... I forgot about cam bolts. I'd rather have a more complete kit. I'd rather sacrifice on height for a more complete and sound lift.

thanks...
Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Frosty,
is that you doin the back flip on the jet ski?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jo-Ni-JK's
Hey Frosty,
is that you doin the back flip on the jet ski?
yup... on lake erie
Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TXJfrosty
Yes, it can be.

The longer control arms are to place the axle/tire back in the center of the wheel well. Once you increase the spring height the distance between both axles shorten. The correct length CAs put the wheelbase back to the correct length. In addition, if one pair of CAs per axle are adjustable then, you can also adjust the caster of the axle.

Concerning the track bars....

In the front, if you increase the suspension height the factory length trac bar will pull the axle toward the drivers side. This can be corrected by brackets or a longer bar. Brackets have a bad name for breaking on the front.

In the rear, if you increase the suspension height the factory length trac bar will pull the axle toward the passenger side. This can be corrected by a bracket or longer trac bar. A bracket works well in the rear if it is secured to the axle tube and not the factory bracket alone.

The operative word here is NEED. You do not need the adjustments to roll down the road. However, you do need the adjustments to have the axles in the correct positions.

Edit: To give you a visual. If you raise your JK with 3" of suspension lift and keep the factory CAs and track bars..... You ever seen a dog running and it looks like he is sideways? Well, that is how you will be going down the road.

Last edited by toymaster; 02-08-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TXJfrosty
question:

why do some lifts come with adjustable controls and other don't? Looked at a 3" BDS lift, doesn't have them, but other 3" lifts do... same with 2.5" BB's - i've seen some with adjustable control arms and some without.

never installed a lift before, and I've been debating what to get. But I'd like to understand this more.

I got a quote for a 3" BDS lift... which didn't include the adjustable control arms. I was told I didn't need them. actually was told i didn't need an adjustable track bar either.

been considering:
2.5" Rock Krawler BB
2.5" TF BB
3" BDS suspension lift
RC 2.5" BB

with a 2.5" BB, you probably wont need any arms or a track bar. in my wife's old sahara, we went from a TF leveling kit to a TF 2.5" budget boost and didnt need a front track bar or anything else. on my old 2dr rubicon, i only had a front track bar with my 2.5" coil lift (had closer to 3.5") and was fine. coulda used front LCA's to up the caster. comparing a BB to a full suspension lift is apples to oranges, depending on brand. i think you will find that the TF kits are better quality than the BDS. of the options you listed, id go with the 2.5" TF BB and shock extensions or new shocks and thats it.

Last edited by wazooz2424; 02-08-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gint2
is there a difference in handling or "Roll Center" be using a bracket vs track bar? There is a lift out there that claims their brackets secured to the axle tube lower the roll center as opposed to a track bar that raises it.
a track bar bracket secured to the axle tube WILL RAISE your track bar and, on a 4" lift, this will help improve your handling or roll center. please note that you MUST install a dropped pitman arm or drag link flip at the same time as failure to do this would put your track bar and draglink at uneven angles and this will CAUSE handling issues. an adjustable track bar alone will only help you to recenter your axle and, for a 3" lift or lower, it's all you really need.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Jedi

If you buy the adj track bars and control arms after the fact, are they hard to install? I have a 4" Pro Comp stage 1 kit, no new track bars or control arms. Dave at NR recommended adj track bars for Front and rear and adj front lower control arms. I am not a weekly wheeler and this is my dd. I am wondering if I should install these bars and arms when i put the lift on and do it in one shot?? Any links to some good videos or write ups on installing a lift? I am going to venture to do it myself.

Quick Reply: lifts and adjustable control arms?