Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifts 101 for a newb

Old 07-04-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifts 101 for a newb

So I want to lift my 2012 Wrangler Unlimited. I am new to the game and just want some insight on what's necessary and what isn't. I see kits that come with all these different pieces and what not. Honestly the only reason it hasn't been lifted yet is the fact I don't trust 4wd stores to tell me what I "need" lol. Any basic tips on the necessary items needed would be appreciated. I am looking to do a 2-3 inch lift along with aftermarket wheels and tires. I don't do any crazy trails most of the trails i do I have done with my stock setup.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im no expert on the subject (I'm very happy with my 33s and TF performance leveling kit) but I think it all comes down to the size lift you want. I think that 2" or under all you really NEED is coils and shocks or shock extensions. You might WANT to get adjustable trackbars and perhaps even some adjustable control arms. I think if you are going to a 3" lift you will need everything for the 2" lift plus a full set of control arms and perhaps a new drive shaft in the front (maybe that is just for the 2drs or automatics).

I also recall seeing that the 2012s need to have a slight modification to the exhaust system to allow the front driveshaft to move freely.

I'm a big fan of the Terraflex kits/equipment. They have great customer support. Maybe you could reach out to them? I know they have a great rep on this forum.

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a 2.5" Teraflex coil lift. I am very happy with it, however even at this height I tore my front DS boot. I have a new Coast front DS waiting to be installed. I am also shopping around for front lower and rear upper control arms to correct some geometry. Hopefully will get that hooked up after vacation.
Anyway the point is what are you willing to tolerate. Mine drives ok but the steering wanders a tad and it pulls a bit. Nothing drastic and I am very happy over all. As I am learning, I upgrade. With the control arms and driveshafts done it will be easier to bump up to 4" down the road with out costing a fortune all at once.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to modified jk tech, then FAQ, then suspension.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:16 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DKehler
Go to modified jk tech, then FAQ, then suspension.
LOL!! what he said
Old 07-06-2012, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Looking to pay to have a 3" lift done on my JK, someone in Ohio please contact me ASAP!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WranglerJ
Looking to pay to have a 3" lift done on my JK, someone in Ohio please contact me ASAP!
Post this in the Ohio thread and I'm sure you will get plenty of help!

Quick Reply: Lifts 101 for a newb