Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifting only the front

Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting only the front

The front end of my Ruby had quite a bit of rake because of a winch, winch bumper and heavy duty front skid plate.
I purchased the OME BB lift kit. It has a 2.5" front spacer and a 2" rear spacer.
After installing the front spacer the Jeep was level so I did not install the rear.
Has anyone else experienced the same issue?
Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, many of us have. The stock springs can't support the weight of heavy bumpers and winches very well. Rubicon models have heavier duty springs than the X models, but they still aren't strong enough for all that weight focused on the front end.

I installed the Teraflex 2.5 BB (front and rear), and it still had a slight rake to it. Later, I installed a heavy bumper and winch, which brought the front down a lot, almost back to stock. I wound up removing the spacers up front and installing Teraflex 3" lift springs. It sits perfect now with the 3" springs up front and the 2.5" spacer with the stock springs in the rear.

How you fix the problem depends on your stock spring rate, whether you have a 2 or 4 door, and how heavy your bumper/winch is. I would really suggest getting some new front springs and removing the spacer. If you continue to use the stock springs in front and add more spacer, they will just compress your springs, and not help much. You could do like I did and put your spacers in the rear and get springs up front. If you have a 2 door, get 2.5" springs, for a 4 door, get 3" springs. Keep in mind: If you do this, you may also need to look into getting adjustable front and rear track bars to center your axles.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran that way for a little while until I got a spring lift.

Quick Reply: Lifting only the front