Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lifting a 2 wheel drive jk unlimited

Old 10-31-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 35x13.5, no troubles. I rarely go on the highway, but went on a 2 hour trip a few weeks back. Going about 60 it starts to level out and you have to give it some gas to get it to go higher, but it's no big deal to me. This isn't a problem exclusive to 4x2s, this is all vehicles with large tires and low gears.

Last edited by ranwitscissorz; 10-31-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by superduperman86
well i am not much of an off roader. i mainly got it for the topless feature so getting the 2wd saved me an extra $3000 and the gas milage was a plus. I will admit most of you guys would consider me a poser, but i just like the way a nice big jeep looks whitch is the reason i want to lift it.
Nothing wrong with being a poser. But if gas mileage was a plus, then anything over 33" tires will probably be more of a hit on mpg than you really want. That and you will also have to regear for anything over 33's since I'm guessing you have a 3:21 rear end. (If you want to keep your foot off the floor anyway)
My suggestion is a 2" BB and 33" tires on 16" wheels. The BB will give you the lift you want and the smaller wheels will make the tires look a little fatter.
Shop around and you can do this set-up for around $1200. If you want to go the 4" lift and 37" tires, then just multiply by 2 or 3.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

2wd = MPG +++
4" lift = MPG - - -
37's = MPG - - -

Old 10-31-2008, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

There is no issue lifting a 2WD, actually it is less to worry about. I did my wife's and mine on the same day. Her's was so easy. I also wouldn't suggest going to big on lift and tires since the gearing in the rear isn't where it needs to be to push 37's....I honestly don't think you would make it down the street . And 35's on the highway would suck in terms of power. My suggestion would be to do a 2.5 in lift with wide 33's. You will get the look you are looking for. Do a search on this site and you will find a lot with that set up.

And to all the 2wd haters here, you need to simmer down, it is still a jeep (same with my wife's) and you need to respect that. He is a jeeper just like you. We are all family, so start acting like it. I am getting tired of the hate I see here and out in the street. Like the morons who don't wave to my wife when she waves. pisses me off, sorry rant over.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

i bought a 2wd with idea of converting to 4wd later....but i believe people should quit hating on us 2wd people even with 2wd im still out on the trails and having fun and that is what is all about. maybe we can get wayoflife to create a 2wd section if there isnt one so that way all the 2wd haters wont ever go in there just my opinion like it matters enjoy your jeep anyway you can and as someone else said there is no difference in the install on a 2wd jeep then 4wd it all fits the same
Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the 3.73 ratio w/ a 6 speed
Old 10-31-2008, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkthing
i bought a 2wd with idea of converting to 4wd later....but i believe people should quit hating on us 2wd people even with 2wd im still out on the trails and having fun and that is what is all about. maybe we can get wayoflife to create a 2wd section if there isnt one so that way all the 2wd haters wont ever go in there just my opinion like it matters enjoy your jeep anyway you can and as someone else said there is no difference in the install on a 2wd jeep then 4wd it all fits the same
I doubt anyone here is hating on you. It's just that it's hard to wrap our heads around a 2wd Jeep. Reality for me is I am in 2wd much of the time I'm off-road on milder trails. That said, I wouldn't even go out without 4wd, cause when you need it, you need it. Also very hard to get my head around spending the money on 4" lift and 37's and still not having 4wd. Maybe it's just me.

I see a lot of pickup trucks around here that ARE 4wd, with insane lifts, crazy big wheels and chrome everywhere, even driveshafts. These are the real posers, as they would suck offroad if they ever saw it. A 2wd Jeep moderately modified would be able to go a lot of places.

Peace.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

hey guys thanks for all of the info and ideas. it will be a while before i actualy take action so i have time to think hard about what i want to do.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep in mind that if you use some type of a spring lift it will give you more lift then advetised due to the fact that your jeep has less weight wothout the 4wd components. The downside is that it will give you a stiffer ride. If you don't plan on using it offroad then you don't have to worry about the tires rubbing as much as long as they clear full turn each way. So you might be able to fit 37s with a advertised 3-4" lift.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdiddy145
Keep in mind that if you use some type of a spring lift it will give you more lift then advetised due to the fact that your jeep has less weight wothout the 4wd components. The downside is that it will give you a stiffer ride. If you don't plan on using it offroad then you don't have to worry about the tires rubbing as much as long as they clear full turn each way. So you might be able to fit 37s with a advertised 3-4" lift.
didnt think about that one. makes scence. Thanks

Quick Reply: lifting a 2 wheel drive jk unlimited