Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lifting a 2 wheel drive jk unlimited

Old 10-31-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifting a 2 wheel drive jk unlimited

Hey guys, i have a 2 wheel drive unlimited "X" and i was wondering if i go through the same process to lift it as you would with a 4x4. would it be easier, harder, or any diferent at all? I am wanting to lift it 4".

Thanks
Old 10-31-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose you could. I am not too familiar with the front set-up on the 2wd model; however; I assume the largest selling point of the 2wd version is for maximum fuel milage while still haveing a jeep convertable. I am sure the lift would then lower the milage.

I am afraid most will recommend saving that cash for a deal on a 4wd version, then atleast you will be able to take better advantage of the lift.

Sorry I could not give you a more solid answer...
Old 10-31-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

well i am not much of an off roader. i mainly got it for the topless feature so getting the 2wd saved me an extra $3000 and the gas milage was a plus. I will admit most of you guys would consider me a poser, but i just like the way a nice big jeep looks whitch is the reason i want to lift it.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Shows what I know. I wasn't aware that you could get a 2 wheel drive. That said, I would bet that it would be about the same if not a very little bit easier.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

i bet it just like the xj 2wd and zj 2wd. just a tube.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

any specifics on what might be different vs. lifting a 4x4? anything i wont need to worry about doing? this is my first jeep and i have only had it since July '08 so i am very new to the jeep world and i am trying to learn about upgrades and how everything works.

thank you guys and i would love more feedback
Old 10-31-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you would take a picture of your front suspension from the front of the jeep that would help. I think most folks are wondering what jeep did for a front axle on a 2WD.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

I believe that there is still a solid front axel. You won't need to worry about the front pinion angle or drive shaft.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

A few years ago I had a 2wd GMC when I lived in San Diego. I put a 5 inch RCD lift on it and used the truck as a baja truck in the desert. The lift kits (suspension lifts) are completely different than those designed for the 4wd models. I would first decide if you wanted a suspension lift or body lift. My best advice would be get a 2.5" budget boost that utilizes spring spacers. Call one of the sponsors of this blog and speak with them.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

"You won't need to worry about the front pinion angle or drive shaft."

I am lost with this one. any help?

Quick Reply: lifting a 2 wheel drive jk unlimited