Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifted!!!! RC 2. Coil Kit

Old 01-05-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ESPMike
Thanks for the tips! I'm doing my install Tuesday. Any pics you can offer or additional tips would be very helpful. Im fearing Im expecting this to be easier then it will actually be. Did the brake lines seem to tight? Maybe brackets are a good idea for a tomorrow project...
Without a relocation bracket, the rear brake lines were pulled tight when the rear shocks were fully extended. (suspension at full travel) As a rule, the brake line should not be the limiting factor of suspension travel. (or get flexed into too tight of a bend during suspension compression) I made the distance of the relocation bracket holes so that the tab of the existing brake line bracket was against the bottom of the frame rail. I didn't measure; I just spotted and marked. The relocation bracket started as just a piece of 3/4" wide stainless corner bracket that I flattened out, then cut off somewhere around 3 1/2 inches long. (I used 1/4-20 button-head stainless bolts and stainless lock nuts to attach the factory brackets to the relocation brackets.) I didn't clean it up or anything. I just left it in the raw, cut form. There was nothing at risk for contacting it.

I looked at the flex lines tonight, after a couple days of driving. No contact marks on either the shocks or the rubber, so they haven't touched. It's only about a half inch, but I guess it's enough.

I put a wood ruler (like elementary kids use) on a relocation bracket while I was under there. The hole spacing looked like it was 2 7/16 inches. (not quite 2 1/2, but more than 2 3/8)

Hope I've helped.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sure hope you know how to work on your Jeep better than you take pictures.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did the install today, and it went smoooooth. Really really easy install, and had a good time doing it. I do see your point about the brake lines, and I'm going to fab up some brackets this week and put them on. There was plenty of flex for on road stuff for now. I did have a snag in that the swaybar disconnects were missing all of their hardware. All I received was the ends and the centers, no bolts, pins, etc. I have an email out to rough country to receive the missing parts and I have no doubt they will come through. I am very glad to ordered the links though. The rear sway bar is fine, but the front is really a stretch to use the stock links IMO.

I definately got some good lift out of the kit. I didnt bother to measure before and after, but it definately sits higher. Its been raining all day today so no pics, but I will grab some hopefully tomorrow and get some B&A shots up.

Thanks all for the help!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by espmike
well there is an obvious advantage to coils over spacers, and when this kit was on sale for $219, well its tough to even get a coil kit for that. Plus is has new shocks! I couldnt resist that price alone.

Discos are swaybar quick disconnects that replace the stock links. It makes disconnecting your swaybar links much faster, and also accounts for the increased height to the swaybar with the new suspension.
where did you get this kit for $219.00?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

It was on sale right before chrismas, not anymore :(
Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

On Christmas Eve Rough Country had a 24 hour sale on this and its BB kit. The BB was 99.95 and this kit was 219.95. AMAZING price for this kit I couldnt turn down, glad I didnt!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by thantos
it was on sale right before chrismas, not anymore :(
from your experience is there any difference between the jk sitting level or with the front end lower.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry i was talking about gas milage when i was talking about the level of stance
Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gas milage sucks either way. Trust me when I say you will drive yourself crazy modding based on gas milage. Pretty much anything you do to your Jeep will make the milage worse, so just enjoy the ride and dont worry about it so much.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine is still sitting in the garage. I can't install it for 2 weeks

so I can't say yet. I'm like a kid staring at his Christmas presents under the tree every time i walk into the garage tho.

Quick Reply: Lifted!!!! RC 2. Coil Kit