Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifted JK front steering component Geometry

Old 11-10-2019, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resharp001,
I know I'm still learning this stuff but look at my photos that I took of my front spring column. Aren't these the bump stops( they are attached to the top? Are they adequate for flipping drag link?
Again thanks for noticing and your input is appreciated.

Marc

Old 11-10-2019, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

That is just a foam. Thing that compresses to nothing. A bumpstop will be a hard piece like this -

Old 11-10-2019, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Oh!!! Wow. Ok I didn't know.

Thanks again for noticing. Is it a big job to lift the front chassis and drop axle down enough to get coil out and put this in?

Marc
Old 11-11-2019, 06:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by mmflytie
Is it a big job to lift the front chassis and drop axle down enough to get coil out and put this in?
Well, tbh, it kinda sux unless you have a lift you're working with, specially with 3.5" springs. You have to jack the body up a good bit, support it on stands, then disconnect TB and sway links up front, and lower that axle as much as possible (supporting with a floor jack), while keeping a very close eye on ABS and brake lines. Hopefully you’re able to get it low enough to get the springs out without disconnecting other things. Even then, it's a tight fit with 3.5" springs. It generally sucks, cuz it’s a lot of work for such a small item. So it is with a lot of things on our JKs. If you’re just on the pavement, you can wait on the bumpstop. If you’re using the jeep offroad and are flexing it out…..best to get some in there.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you're in between lift kits they you can cheat (temporarily only) and squeeze hockey pucks in there with double sided tape. They really should be bolted to the pad and you can get away with a nyloc nut on the bottom. I've toyed with the idea of tapping the pad but I don't know if there's enough metal there to make it work.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I've toyed with the idea of tapping the pad but I don't know if there's enough metal there to make it work.
There is. Years ago I used hockey pucks, which are perfectly fine btw, and eventually put an actual bumpstop there. When I swapped em I tapped the hole for the screw the new stop used and never had an issue.
The following users liked this post:
karls10jk (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the input.

Marc
Old 11-11-2019, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Will this work for my lower bump stop or is this the wrong kind of part ( since it says extension). Having a hard time finding 3" bump stops

Marc
Old 11-11-2019, 10:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Those are fine. I've actually had a set of those in my garage forever that I just sent along with axles I sold. I have EVO 3" bumps and would say the EVOs are a slightly larger diameter vs. the JKS, but those would work fine. Stacking 3 hockey pucks, drilling through em all, and using some all-thread and ny-lock nuts and washers to hold it all in place is probably <$20 for comparison. All you're doing is providing some surface for that little rubber/foamy thing to hit on before the actual spring perch itself.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Here's a short yourtube video of the install. Note the previous comments on tapping holes for the bolts - shown in the first few seconds of the video. And there are many other writeups and longer vids if you look around.

If you don't want to drill and tap, or tape or gorilla glue hockey pucks or whatever, you could look at replacing the upper stops instead. (Teraflex is a popular choice, haven't really followed any other designs for those)

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-11-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Lifted JK front steering component Geometry