Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifted and 35s, What Next?

Old 12-11-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifted and 35s, What Next?

I just lifted my (new to me) 07 unlimited X and obviously it runs a little sluggish and fuel economy is goin down. What would be the best bang for my buck? Should i focus on performance upgrades like a cold air intake, exhaust, etc. or regear to 4.88 or 5.13? And what is a typical cost estimate for a regear?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Auto or manual trans?auto regear,programer
Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

Have you considered a programmer? Like a Superchips Flashpaq? This can change the setup of your on board computer to read the correct gearing, tire size, etc. Changes from stock to aftermarket tires, wheels, etc will mess up how things work. That's a little cheaper route then re-gearing or starting to buy other parts.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

I'm still new to the jeep world, but from what I have been able to discern, the 3.8 is pretty much a lost cause for bolt on power. Your best bet is to go with the re-gear. If you search anywhere online, its pretty easy to find a re-gear chart that will help you figure out what set of gearing to go with. Assuming you had the towing package (what my X 2 door came with) you will have 3.73's. The rubicons came stock with 4.10's. so if you went up three inches in tires, I would say I wouldn't go to much high fours. I am still new to the jeep world but I would look at whats available online in that area. And usually up here in the great white north, its close to 900 per axel for parts and labor. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Former Vendor

Regear is pricey for sure but it is worth it. It makes crawling easier as well as gives that Jeep the most pep.

If you have auto trans I would do the 5:13 if you have manual do 4:88.

While you regear you mind as well throw in lockers and stronger axle shafts.

That makes it very pricey though.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

A little more info: I have the superchips flashpaq and love it, and its a 6-speed. I got it used and there was no hitch on it so i'd assume it wasn't the tow package so i believe that leaves it at the 3.21.

Can upgrading the axles be done in stages, or if you are going to do one, might as well upgrade it all at once?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by chawk
A little more info: I have the superchips flashpaq and love it, and its a 6-speed. I got it used and there was no hitch on it so i'd assume it wasn't the tow package so i believe that leaves it at the 3.21.

Can upgrading the axles be done in stages, or if you are going to do one, might as well upgrade it all at once?
You can do the front axles(and not the rear), but you have to do BOTH sides (inner and outer). The rears a different story as they are the same lengths on either the driver and passenger side - meaning the jeep won't know if you just replace one side of the rear and not both.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Former Vendor

If you choose to upgrade in stages you can, However, it is a horrible idea. Essentially that would render your JK two wheel drive until you have the other axle upgraded.

If you have mismatched gears and put it in four wheel drive it would try to turn everything at a different rate and that is when things go BOOM.

Pretty much you must do it as a pair.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

What next haha.... It never ends trust me I thought I would have stopped the mods along time ago, but nope still going strong.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Former Vendor

Skid Plates, Rock Sliders, and Bumpers are a good idea too.

Wheel with confidence!

Quick Reply: Lifted and 35s, What Next?