Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lifted 2010

Old 07-28-2013, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifted 2010

I'm new to this site, but would like some input on power issue mainly on highway. I just lifted my 2010 jeep jk, auto, 2.5 terra flex and 305 terra grapplers ( about 33's). This is mainly a street driven jeep but i have noticed the power sucks down the highway, or turnpike. I was told at the 4x4 shop that did the lift that the computer needs reprogramed to make the speedo and shift points correct,will this help? What is the best way to overcome this issue, without spending a ton of money? Do I need to turn O/D off? I don't know the gear ratio, and would like to stay away from regearing if at all possible, because that is probably big $$$.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

First.....search, it's been covered a million trillion times.

Second....get a procal or superchips to let your computer know what size your tires are and things will get a little better. The superchips will also give you "tune" options.

Both will keep you away from regearing. Search for more info on the tunes.

Sent from my Droid4 and Jkfreaks.com
Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by russell christy
I'm new to this site, but would like some input on power issue mainly on highway. I just lifted my 2010 jeep jk, auto, 2.5 terra flex and 305 terra grapplers ( about 33's). This is mainly a street driven jeep but i have noticed the power sucks down the highway, or turnpike. I was told at the 4x4 shop that did the lift that the computer needs reprogramed to make the speedo and shift points correct,will this help? What is the best way to overcome this issue, without spending a ton of money? Do I need to turn O/D off? I don't know the gear ratio, and would like to stay away from regearing if at all possible, because that is probably big $$$.
You'll have to excuse like "karls" there's a lot of people like that on here if you ask the smallest question that's already been addressed they flip out and tell you to search first and crap this forum has changed from what it was but never the less welcome new guy and happy Jeepin

*O||||||O*

Last edited by Ryan0260; 07-29-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Welcome, an ya he's new he probably doesn't now how to search yet
Old 07-28-2013, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I would start with a reprogrammer like superchips. After that the cheapest option is to regear then a supercharger. Regearing is $1,000-$1,500. Superchargers start at 3k. I have a 2010 2dr w/ 34's and see almost all highway. Its tolerable but definitely lacks. Im planning on regearing in the near future and probably a super charger at some point.

Last edited by blue project; 07-28-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

OD/Off is definitely your cheapest option. You won't notice a difference in town, but freeway rpms will come up to more acceptable levels. A ProCal will let you recalibrate, and has some nifty features. If you want to step it up to a tuner, Superchips and Diablo both have good reviews.

If you choose to look into gearing -

Find out what gears you have now. If you still have the window sticker, it will be on there. Or you can send your VIN in for a build sheet. Or lift a corner, spin the tire and count driveshaft revs.

Measure your tires. Not the mfg's spec, but the actual height.

Then go up to the top of this modified area and find the faq's. (second sticky up top). In the drivetrain section you will find some charts built specifically for the JK. Plug in your numbers to find rpm at 70. (or what they will be once you get it re-calibrated, anyway) Once you get that number, divide it .69 to find out your rpm's when you push the OD/Off button.

From there, just start plugging in other ratios and see where you end up. Be sure to get the OD/Off numbers for each to get an idea of where you'll kick down to when you drop out of OD.

Last edited by nthinuf; 07-28-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default superchips

Thanks for all the input, I'm kinda leaning towards the superchips flashpaq. How user friendly is this?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

it's very user friendly. I own one and it's around 5 mins to swap tunes.

Last edited by Ryan0260; 07-29-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thanx, any leads on cheapest place to purchase? Most of the prices I've seen they are from 320.00 to 350.00 or higher.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Junkie

Check around for a used one, they can be had for closer to $250 shipped

Quick Reply: lifted 2010