Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifted '12 Front End Clank

Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prodsup04
I just had my Rancho 4" Sport lift with disconnects put on my 2011 JKU and I'm having the exact same problem. I will definitely check out the disconnects to make sure everything is tight.
If you have the Rancho quick Discos then I bet thats what it is, mine clank around on speed bumps. Its the pin that holds them rattling around so I don't think there's much to be done.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Only does it when the brake is depressed? If you can put it on jack stands and throw it in 4 wheel drive, does it do it while there is no weight on the wheel?

I had a similar sound on mine when I first got it and it turned out it was a defective rotor. No bolts or anything were loose, we could not figure out why the heck it clicked like that, but when the rotor was replaced it went away. My guess would be either rotor/hub assembly or ball joints.

I'd check and see if there was any play in the tire side to side or up and down.

Better yet - it's an 2012, make the dealer fix it!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

The problem came from an aftermarket suspension so I didn't ask the dealer to check it out.

I went under it a second time and really, really cranked down on everything new. That fixed the problem. I think a loose bolt on the passenger LCA was the reason for all this mess! That explains the axle movement.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sparkplug
The problem came from an aftermarket suspension so I didn't ask the dealer to check it out.

I went under it a second time and really, really cranked down on everything new. That fixed the problem. I think a loose bolt on the passenger LCA was the reason for all this mess! That explains the axle movement.

Thanks for all the help!
I ran into the same thing with mine. The clunk sound was shifting of the control arm joints. I will be putting rock krawler control arms in and making sure that the new grade 911 bolts are torqued properly and loctited. If overtorquing the control arm bolt is the answer, then you might have a worn out bushing. Lowers and top rear are 125 lbs. Uppers are, as memory serves, 75 lbs. I highly recommend a good torque wrench if you like to work on your jeep.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a torque wrench and only have LCAs aftermarket. I'll keep an eye on those bushings!

Quick Reply: Lifted '12 Front End Clank