Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifted '12 Front End Clank

Old 06-01-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2.5 max travel and the front disco's make noise when hitting bumps.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same issue with my 2012 and brought it back to the shop that installed the lift and they were under it for an hour before they found the problem. When you install a lift you should grease all the bushings before you install any of the parts with the lift. Even each side of the bushings before you bolt them in the mounting brackets.They found one bushing that was missed. They removed it and greased it and no more popping it's gone. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

I had a similar problem with no lift, I did swap out he wheels for some rubi wheels that had 50 miles on them.I had them mounted and balanced with my TPMS. the front left keep making a poping noise. It drove me nuts for a couple months, I was under my jeep every day looking for a loose bolt or something like. The noise only happened when driving slow or on take offs. I finaly talk to a friend who said the wheel may have a crack in it. I swapped it out with the spare and the noise was gone. either the wheel had a crack or it is out of balanced. I think it was out of balanced these bigger wheels are hard to keep balanced. Couldnt beleave thats all it was though.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tightened all the bots on the swaybar links and there is no change. That doesn't seem like the problem to me because the clunk is coming from movement of the tie rod, track bar, and axle assembly. Those things are not dependent upon sway bar links as I can tell. Help still needed.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sparkplug
I tightened all the bots on the swaybar links and there is no change. That doesn't seem like the problem to me because the clunk is coming from movement of the tie rod, track bar, and axle assembly. Those things are not dependent upon sway bar links as I can tell. Help still needed.
Are the track bar jam nuts tight?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by offcamber
I've got a clank/pop in mine that occurs sometimes when backing out of the driveway and stopping or just on sudden stops. Sometimes it just happens out of nowhere. I've climbed under the Jeep multiple times and twisted every nut that i touched in the lift and every single thing is tight. I finally just accepted that there is going to be noise and it's nothing to worry about. I have no issues other than the occasional pop/bang so I almost forget it's there now.
I have the same thing with my RK 2.5" max travel same clank/pop when backing out of driveway when flexing sometimes when braking when taking off from stand still. I am only an hour away from them so im going to drive up there one of these days

Here is the noise mine makes from 27 seconds too 34 seconds does it 3 times sounds almost like sticks breaking i can understand when im flexing like that but this is the sound it makes on the road normal driving it drives me crazy nothing like pulling away from the gas station in a brand new 2012 and hearing this loud clank everyone always looks
SDV 0068 - YouTube
Old 06-12-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm.

I have gone through all my components. I suppose I could again.

Just to be clear... this isn't a creak or a crack. It is a clunk that comes from forward/downward movement of my front end components.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Hmmm.

Just to be clear... this isn't a creak or a crack. It is a clunk that comes from forward/downward movement of my front end components.
I have the same problem, I got under the 0|||||||0 and I was able to move the tie rod with hardly any pressure back and forth - i tmade the same noise that you described, I just discovered this so - did you find your issue, and what did you do to fix it

To give some background, I recently installed a 4" rancho sport lift about a 3 weeks ago. Never heard that noise until last week - is it a bushing that has to be replaced, what ccould cause that?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Hmmm.

I have the same problem, I got under the 0|||||||0 and I was able to move the tie rod with hardly any pressure back and forth - i tmade the same noise that you described, I just discovered this so - did you find your issue, and what did you do to fix it

To give some background, I recently installed a 4" rancho sport lift about a 3 weeks ago. Never heard that noise until last week - is it a bushing that has to be replaced, what ccould cause that?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default tie rod

Hmmm.

Quick Reply: Lifted '12 Front End Clank