Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifted '12 Front End Clank

Old 05-30-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifted '12 Front End Clank

Have a RK 2.5 Max Travel on my '12 Rubicon. A couple of weeks ago, I started having a clank in the front end when hitting the brake. It's almost like the caliper is loose and loads up every time I brake. The tie rod, which is still stock, moves with braking. However, the track bar and knuckle move a little also. Hopefully there is a bolt loose somewhere but I can't find the source.

I made a video. Hopefully it will help. This is my buddy tapping the brake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rRht...e_gdata_playerhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rRht...e_gdata_player
Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

is it the quick disconnects that are making the noise?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think so. I tightened them so they are locked in place and they don't seem to be moving.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sparkplug
I don't think so. I tightened them so they are locked in place and they don't seem to be moving.
I know RK has been known to make front end clank when going over bumps because of their disconnects.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm.... I'll look further into that. The thing concerning me is that I can see movement in other components. The track bar moves farward, so does the tie rod, and the "knuckle." I'm not sure if I'm using the correct names for the anatomy, but I'm talking about the point where everything comes together, including part of the axle, located inside the right front wheel.

Something has to have loosened because this problem started about two months after the lift was installed. I just can't find anything loose...
Old 05-31-2012, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm.... I'll look further into that. The thing concerning me is that I can see movement in other components. The track bar moves farward, so does the tie rod, and the "knuckle." I'm not sure if I'm using the correct names for the anatomy, but I'm talking about the point where everything comes together, including part of the axle, located inside the right front wheel.

Something has to have loosened because this problem started about two months after the lift was installed. I just can't find anything loose...
Based on that ticking, you definitely have the bad head issue that most of us with 2012's do...
Old 05-31-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was waiting for that post. Was on the fence but now I'll take it in for sure.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a clank/pop in mine that occurs sometimes when backing out of the driveway and stopping or just on sudden stops. Sometimes it just happens out of nowhere. I've climbed under the Jeep multiple times and twisted every nut that i touched in the lift and every single thing is tight. I finally just accepted that there is going to be noise and it's nothing to worry about. I have no issues other than the occasional pop/bang so I almost forget it's there now.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

check your quick disconnects. I just installed JKS Qdisconnects and lift on my 12 and after about a week I started getting a fr end clunk with braking or if the body/axel swayed at all...even coming out of the driveway...clunk!
We retorqed everything and still had the clunk....disconects included. I was under the jeep and my son thought he'd scare me by shaking the jeep...right away it started clunking. It was the disconnects after all. YOu really need to torqe them down and use lock tight or they will loosen up and anytime pressure is put on the swaybar...clunk! Hope this helps...
Old 06-01-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

I just had my Rancho 4" Sport lift with disconnects put on my 2011 JKU and I'm having the exact same problem. I will definitely check out the disconnects to make sure everything is tight.

Quick Reply: Lifted '12 Front End Clank