Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Upgrade Advisor.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going to spend 4k on a lift...simply do either the Evo or Rubicon Express Bolton coil over kit....comes with everything you need and will ride like a Cadillac...

For 1500 look at the OME 4inch kit and add JKS lower control arms
Old 06-14-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mgriffith67
If you're going to spend 4k on a lift...simply do either the Evo or Rubicon Express Bolton coil over kit....comes with everything you need and will ride like a Cadillac... For 1500 look at the OME 4inch kit and add JKS lower control arms
so I've never really researched so this seems like An appropriate question now, difference between shocks with reservoirs compared to without. What's the advantage? I was just looking at the evo kit with the king shocks with reservoirs and it came to a little over 4500 I think
Old 06-14-2015, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alp1n3
so if get the 3.5" with the better shocks for $4k I would be setup? Besides upgrading the housings and gears plus lockers of course.
I don't know if you need to drop 4k, but just keep in mind that running a larger lift height requires more parts to do properly. As was mentioned before, you could just do the arms now and save a bunch. You can also just piece together a kit from various companies with the parts you like, or buy an entirely new kit from a company. The full kits typically run anywhere from 2.5-3.5 from RK, MC, Synergy, etc. Putting your own kit together and getting everything from companies of your choice, can end of up being cheaper, it just requires more research.

If you want new everything, get new everything. If you like the current ride of your springs and shocks, get some new arms. I would say front lowers or uppers for castor and rear uppers for pinion, or get all 8. I'm a big fan of the MC joint and chromo arms, but RK makes a really solid arm too.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
I don't know if you need to drop 4k, but just keep in mind that running a larger lift height requires more parts to do properly. As was mentioned before, you could just do the arms now and save a bunch. You can also just piece together a kit from various companies with the parts you like, or buy an entirely new kit from a company. The full kits typically run anywhere from 2.5-3.5 from RK, MC, Synergy, etc. Putting your own kit together and getting everything from companies of your choice, can end of up being cheaper, it just requires more research. If you want new everything, get new everything. If you like the current ride of your springs and shocks, get some new arms. I would say front lowers or uppers for castor and rear uppers for pinion, or get all 8. I'm a big fan of the MC joint and chromo arms, but RK makes a really solid arm too.
so like the duroflex control arm kit with all 8 would suffice?
Old 06-14-2015, 10:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It sounds like you just want to throw money at a lift? At your current height, front lowers will do it. They will allow you to tilt the housing to adjust the caster. Since you have a 4door, the rear driveshaft angle is fine. No need to adjust the pinion, so no need for the rear arms. Unless you just really, really want to throw money at it. Adding the second set of arms to either end will let you fine tune the caster/pinion, and also allow you to move the entire axle forward/backward in the wheel well. Nice to have, just not needed at that height.

If you decide to go higher, do some research on the specific coils. (My MC 3.5" coils gave close to 5" on my relatively light 4door). If you end up higher than you anticipate, you will be looking at other expenses. The front driveshaft, maybe a dl flip, bumpstops, links, trackbars, rear tb bracket, etc. So basically a whole new lift.

For a lot of people, reservoir shocks are just bling. They look cool. But, for things like high speed desert or extended daily pounding in the rocks or whatever, monotube/twintube shocks can heat up and become much less effective. For those people, having a cooler running shock with added fluid capacity can be needed. You decide.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

so I've never really researched so this seems like An appropriate question now, difference between shocks with reservoirs compared to without. What's the advantage? I was just looking at the evo kit with the king shocks with reservoirs and it came to a little over 4500 I think
A simple guide to shocks
Old 06-15-2015, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

so like the duroflex control arm kit with all 8 would suffice?
Do some research. Read stickies, reviews, build threads, etc. Figure out what are you have a preference too and learn about the joint. I probably should have read 100x more before I jumped on MC, but I wouldn't have change my decision and I got free shipping. Just pick what's right for you.

That said, all 8 arms would allow for centering of axles and for perfect castor/pinion adjustment.

If you do plan on wheeling harder, like blues and blacks with that height, look at brake lines. It's a pretty cheap upgrade but definitely necessary when flexing.

Quick Reply: Lift Upgrade Advisor.