Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lift trouble

Old 11-09-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Damn, looks like we all need glasses.

You should go for it! Slap on the cheapest 4" lift you can find and have a competition to see who's jeep drives the worst, yours or your brothers...
Old 11-09-2009, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Here ya go. A great 4" lift with everything you need for around a grand.

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/jk-...rm-system.html

But then again, I need glasses...

Oh yeah, that doesn't include the new driveshafts you'll need. But hey, give or take, around, etc.
Nice kit!! I always get in trouble with the wife when I tell her that something is only xxx dollars but the real bill comes back way over. Example was gussets. They're only like $110 and she said ok, but then I figured that while it's in the shop getting welded I should get sleeves and LCA skids. So a 110 part (like I told her), turned into $800 after sleeves and all the welding labor. Oh well!!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Junkie

you want a lift for around 1G you need to prowel the for sale thread.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why does he have 4" of lift for 33s? That is enough lift for 37s. I bet it looks like a skate!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Damn, looks like we all need glasses.

You should go for it! Slap on the cheapest 4" lift you can find and have a competition to see who's jeep drives the worst, yours or your brothers...
very humourous great job there, kiddo? my brothers 17...im 18...he paid for his tj...i paid for my jk, i figure we're doin alright. i mean, how are you doin? my folks are teachin us how to do things right...so thats why i asked and gave a budget...but hey, what would they know...they only make around 2 mil a year....what would they know...hows ur job?

i actually bought a steering stabilizer with my last lift...said it should help some.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Hmm, could it have been because of your attitude?

u guys must need some glasses or something, im certain i said "around a grand"....meaning alittle above or below...give or take a couple hundred..."AROUND" not below...
People were trying to help - based on what you said in your original post. You were given good advice, and you tell us we can't read. Deal with it...

Oh, and my dad can beat up your dad!!

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-09-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
very humourous great job there, kiddo? my brothers 17...im 18...he paid for his tj...i paid for my jk, i figure we're doin alright. i mean, how are you doin? my folks are teachin us how to do things right...so thats why i asked and gave a budget...but hey, what would they know...they only make around 2 mil a year....what would they know...hows ur job?

i actually bought a steering stabilizer with my last lift...said it should help some.
good luck on getting quality help with your "better than thou" attitude.... maybe you could ask your million dollar parents for some extra scratch to get a quality lift, maybe throw one in for your bro.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:33 PM
JK Freak

Wow you are so lucky to have such rich parents. Since they are obviously financial gods they would have taught you about value vs price. Everyone is trying to get you a lift with value, not just a cheap piece of junk. So go do it the right way, as you have been taught and drop the 3K on a 4" lift and go win the pissing contest with your little brother.

Also remember that 4" in a TJ is not the same as 4" on a JK. A 4" JK will be huge compared to a 4" TJ so don't get caught up in that number. You can easily fit 35's with 3" or even a BB with some trimming.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Hmm, could it have been because of your attitude?

People were trying to help - based on what you said in your original post. You were given good advice, and you tell us we can't read. Deal with it...

Oh, and my dad can beat up your dad!!
Wow. Take it easy guys. Maybe he got off on the wrong foot. He's a young guy yet at 18. We were all there before - young with attitudes. I say cut him a break.

Now onto your request. On this forum, there are certain popular brands with good reason. Teraflex, OME, AEV, etc. They are just trying to save you some headache of buying an incomplete kit. Now I for one, don't have rich parents or a lot of money myself so I chose a different path. I knew I wanted a 4" lift but didn't have + $2,000 for a nice lift at one shot so I chose to go with a budget lift and build the rest component by component. I did buy the ProComp 4" stage 1 and it was complete enough to get my ride setup with 35's. To contrary belief, I installed this lift with minimum problems and it rides great and close to stock with no drive-line issues (stock drivelines in use with no clearance problems - so far) or wobble. I later added front & rear LCA's from Rusty's and ordered an adjustable trackbar from JKS. I also bought extended braided steel brake lines instead of using the drop brackets. I installed everything myself in a weekend and saved on installation. After all said and done, I spent about $1,400 in parts that is usually found in most medium level "complete" kits. Only time will tell on the ProComp components but upon personal inspection of the parts they look like good quality and beefy to me (compared to stock). I hate when guys give opinions of lifts or parts they don't have actual experience with and just jump on the band wagon and trash them. I say do your research on this site and others and listen to people who have actually experienced those products first hand. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by renpia
Wow. Take it easy guys. Maybe he got off on the wrong foot. He's a young guy yet at 18. We were all there before - young with attitudes. I say cut him a break.

Now onto your request. On this forum, there are certain popular brands with good reason. Teraflex, OME, AEV, etc. They are just trying to save you some headache of buying an incomplete kit. Now I for one, don't have rich parents or a lot of money myself so I chose a different path. I knew I wanted a 4" lift but didn't have + $2,000 for a nice lift at one shot so I chose to go with a budget lift and build the rest component by component. I did buy the ProComp 4" stage 1 and it was complete enough to get my ride setup with 35's. To contrary belief, I installed this lift with minimum problems and it rides great and close to stock with no drive-line issues (stock drivelines in use with no clearance problems - so far) or wobble. I later added front & rear LCA's from Rusty's and ordered an adjustable trackbar from JKS. I also bought extended braided steel brake lines instead of using the drop brackets. I installed everything myself in a weekend and saved on installation. After all said and done, I spent about $1,400 in parts that is usually found in most medium level "complete" kits. Only time will tell on the ProComp components but upon personal inspection of the parts they look like good quality and beefy to me (compared to stock). I hate when guys give opinions of lifts or parts they don't have actual experience with and just jump on the band wagon and trash them. I say do your research on this site and others and listen to people who have actually experienced those products first hand. Good luck.
Man, things decayed rapidly on this thread.
I haven't been around here very long, but I learned one thing rapidly: You gotta have thick skin and a sense of humor.

IMO, the first few posts were right on the money (no pun intended), 4" for around a grand is asking for trouble. If you can *start* with a $1400-1500 with a commitment to add components along the way, then you have a decent option.

Your lift kit will likely be the most important choice you make on your JK because it affects suspension, steering and driveline and hence how much you will end up loving or hating your JK.

Don't skimp just for the sake of doing it fast.

Quick Reply: lift trouble