Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lift trouble

Old 11-09-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift trouble

i ahve 35s on my unlmited...but my lil bro and ihs 2 door has 33s and a 4 inch lift..i want a 4 inch om mine as well. but hes has had problems because of his lift such as the wobble....what is a good lift for around a grand? thanks for inpout!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

ummm... less than $1000 does not equal "good 4 inch lift".

Yes you can get lifts for this price but they probably won't inculde adjustable arms, adjustable trackbars, etc. which are the parts needed to combate wobble and other steering problems inherent in such a tall lift.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

As Flamered stated, at that height you want to do it right, not cheap...

Start with the FAQ's. Sections like this:
"Q: What are all the components that I will need with a 4" lift?"
might help get you pointed in the right direction.

hes has had problems because of his lift such as the wobble....
Generally, it is not the lift itself. It is more likely to be a poor install, components not torqued correctly, or badly balanced tires.

Also, if he went with a cheap, incomplete lift instead of a more complete kit, that could definitely have something to do with poor handling. (axles not centered, caster too low, etc...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-09-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

I agree with the other replies. At 4 inches of lift, you really need a complete kit that gives you control arms, track bars, etc. Most of the kits under $1000 will likely not contain these vital components. Not to mention, at that height you will also need longer driveshaft(s). If you just want a lift for looks, a 3 inch might work better, since you won't need driveshafts and will look great with a set of 35s.

Wobble is almost always related to trackbar problems. Your brother either doesn't have long enough trackbars, they aren't adjusted properly, or they arent torqued properly. He should inspect them and their mounting points closely. The other factor here is tire balance.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

u guys must need some glasses or something, im certain i said "around a grand"....meaning alittle above or below...give or take a couple hundred..."AROUND" not below...
Old 11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

i really need to know what major parts i need with the lift and whats a good company to go with..my first post was rushed and only had about a minute to post
Old 11-09-2009, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Here ya go. A great 4" lift with everything you need for around a grand.

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/jk-...rm-system.html

But then again, I need glasses...

Oh yeah, that doesn't include the new driveshafts you'll need. But hey, give or take, around, etc.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-09-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

Like many on this site, I'm very partial to Teraflex.
I haven't looked at prices, but I doubt you can get a good quality, complete lift kit for close to 1000, regardless of brand.
If you want to lift right away, and don't have a big budget, you could always do a Teraflex budget boost and save your other money until you can get the good lift you want/need.

Also, check the sponsoring vendor forum, there are lots of sales coming on for the holidays. Call Dave at northridge and he can probably help you out or give you some good advice.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
u guys must need some glasses or something, im certain i said "around a grand"....meaning alittle above or below...give or take a couple hundred..."AROUND" not below...
Understood, my Terflex 3" kit with 8 control arms and all the other goodies (extended brakelines...) was over 2 grand in itself. I also had to get adj track bar. I tore my driveshaft boot so I'm looking at getting a new front DS.

So you'll be doubling or trippling your original budget to do it right.

But to play along... 4wd sells a pro comp 4" lift for 630 bucks. It includes so so shocks, springs, sway bar links, brake line extension, and bump stop extentions. It does NOT include control arms, adj track bars, extended brake lines (better than extensions). So yes for around a grand you can get 4" height gain. The next step up for cheap is a procomp stage II lift at 1600 bucks which as 4 adj control arms and track bar. Now we've ventured away from "around a grand" into "around 2 grand" territory. Procomp is known for their amazing prices and is not know for amazing quality. At 4" you will need these adjustable components or you will have steering problems.

Maybe add a body lift to your budget boost?? It seems like everyone would like to help but the budget doesn't fit the criteria and nobody likes to see someone set themselves up for disaster.

Last edited by FlameRed; 11-09-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

If your not going to spend the money to lift your jeep properly, dont even bother. you wont be happy with it.

I dont see you lifting it properly for around a grand.

Quick Reply: lift trouble