Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift, tires and way forward ...

Old 09-08-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift, tires and way forward ...

Ok, I know I might get some hate for what I am about to write, but so it goes. I need you guys' advice on the best setup and way forward for my JK.
Current situation:
OME medium duty + standard OME shocks + Cooper STT 35x12.50-17 (on AEV Pintlers). I rub occasionally, and the performance on and off road is satisfactory.
However, these tires are a bit heavy and my 3.73 ratios "feel" them even in spite of the good torque provided by the Diesel (think around a HEMI in terms of torque). They have a great "wow" factor, and they do well in the trail, but for my usage is proving a bit overkill (this is not my DD, but I use it as a all-round vehicle). I actually got the STTs because I had a good deal on them, otherwise I would still be in the 33s vs. 35s limbo ...

What i would like to do:
- optimize wheel travel, now limited by bump stops to avoid ripping fenders and brake lines (flat fenders, xenon or similar are a no-no)
- optimize performance, noise and vibrations, and fuel consumption all around
- get rid of the GY SA I have on original rims that I kept aside for winter use (need the space and $$$)
- consider more adequate/economical tires for trailer usage (would be 4+2+spare)

So I was thinking perhaps in:
- get a more all-rounder tires like Duratracs, BG AT, etc.
- perhaps downsize from 35s to 33s
- explore consequences of changing to LT shocks

Notes:
- I am ready to face further changes to ensure correct alignment of suspension and driveline components
- I measured the STTs and at 25PSI the measure 33.5" in height, in your experience, if "35s" are like this, would a 33in tire end up like a 32in or they retain better the shape? In other words, do a 285/70-17 Duratrac becomes a "true" 33 when mounted, and a 315/70-17 a "true" 34.5, or they become like the STT a smaller tire?

Quick Reply: Lift, tires and way forward ...