Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lift and tires

Old 04-04-2016, 03:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift and tires

Hello,
I dunno if you can see my profile pic, that is my car and willing to lift it using skyjacker 2.5" lift kit and install 33x12.5x17 or 35x12.5x17 tires.
i read in many places that 35s on JKs face problem when OD, can anyone explain that.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by adernayka; 04-04-2016 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must mean lifting your jeep?!

Car is what everyone else trudges along in all depressed, and waiting to die.

First, skip the skyjacker lift. Shocks suck, brackets are cheap and the springs are the cheapest made.

Find a good comprehensive kit that keeps your steering geometry in line and keeps the ride like stock. 2.5" should be about your max.

As for the 33s they'll fit right now with some wheel spacers.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

People have issues due to the axle gearing. A lot of the JK's coming out now are running 3.21 gears in the axle because of fuel standards that are forced on the car makers by the government. Bigger tires require the gears to be changed to maintain the power feel, if the gears are not changed the jeep will feel sluggish and will throw off the shift points in the transmission. You will see slower starts from still and climbing hills will cause the transmission to shift often. There are charts on here that will give you the proper ratio to run for the tires you want. Many people will just live with the performance hit when moving up to a slightly larger tire. You will notice going to a 33" tire and even more with 35's. You will typically see fuel economy suffer as well with improperly matched tires and gear rations as well as more stress being placed on the entire driveline. Just think of riding a 10 speed bike on a steep hill, you drop down to a higher gear ratio to climb with little effort.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, i am not an english native so everything that use 4 wheels is a car, i notice some call it rig! anyway thanks for the advice, and for the clarification.
i will try to seek another set, maybe rough country is the alternative. still searching...

Quick Reply: lift and tires