Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift/Tire Setup for 2011 JK Sport

Old 10-24-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepchick808
hmmmm.. thanks so much for all this advise!

with the 15inch wheels, will it be too small to support the tires? i understand a lot of people run these tiny wheels on giant tires but physically thinking, i feel like the wheels are little weaklings giving all they got to support the tires on the Jeep.. idk, maybe i'm just thinking too hard on this one lol.

is the only problem with the 15s is the caliper clearance? or is there more... hmm..
No problems with a 15 supporting a 35", it's one of the most popular combos amongst wheelers because it gives you plenty of side wall and works great when aired down. A 35 X 15 tire will also run around $100+ less (per tire) than a 35 X 17. So you save $400 each time you replace your tires.

Caliper clearance is not an issue with proper backspacing. Again, less of a problem on a pre 2012. The only obstacle you run into is that there isn't as large of a wheel selection in a 15" vs. 17".

Most people run 17" because they think it looks better. Some say a 17" will handle better on road, I find that to not be true. Not a noticeable difference.

Originally Posted by Jeepchick808
i have no idea how backspacing/offsets work. its so confusing. too many numbers to think about lol. i purchased black rock soft 8s in 16x8 with 4.25 backspacing and -6mm offset. These didn't fit. they were hitting my rear caliper.. i'm not sure if i got the wrong backspacing or offset or just the wrong wheel alltogether.
That is odd. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a 16" with 4.5" or less. When I had 16" wheels, they were 16 X 8 with 4.5" BS. No problems at all. I thought the soft 8 was a popular wheel too?

If you decide to do 15's, PM me. I have a list of 15" wheels known to work. My wheels are MB TKO 15 X 8 w/ 3.75" BS. The MB 72 is similar to the Soft 8 and is also known to work.

Crappy cell phone pic attached of mine. Hopefully get better pics this weekend...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35 mtr.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	381989  

Last edited by suicideking; 10-24-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Lift/Tire Setup for 2011 JK Sport