Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Suggestions - $1400 budget

Old 09-30-2015, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
When talking about lifts most people on this forum seem to put an emphasis on it's off-road performance and flexing capabilities, and understandably so since that's the main point in getting a lift.

However, I'm probably on the opposite side of fence wanting to learn more about the on-road performance. I'm at the realization that my JKU is my DD first and foremost where I'll likely make an off-road trek with some friends maybe 2-4 times a year, along with some camping and hunting expeditions thrown in as well. My main incentive in getting a lift is to provide improved offroad performance by being able to put on bigger tires to reduce my chances of getting stuck in mud/water and/or damaging the underside of my JKU.

My overall preference is that I maintain stock or improved on road drive performance for DD use after putting on a lift, including not interfering with steering performance. Also I would like to feel comfortable in knowing that I won't be in a continuous repair mode of parts breaking or wearing out prematurely due to the lift and larger tires. To be honest, I hate working on cars but I do so because I can, which allows me to save a buck when something needs fixing or upgrading, and on the most part don't trust most repair shops. However, working on my JKU continuously due to having bigger tires and a higher lift is not what I consider to be a fun hobby, like some do. I rather spend time having fun with the family instead.

It's for these reasons I'm currently leaning more towards the AEV 2.5" lift, as well as the Mopar lifts. AEV seems to be one of the few vendors who seem to put an emphasis on maintaining the on-road performance in their designs to ensure the JK is at or above OEM performance and reliability standards. However, that could just be AEV's marketing niche and I don't want to get caught by that either.

So if anyone would like to talk MORE about their on-road performance and reliability aspect of their lifts, then I'm all ears. If you want to talk about how much flex it has and how you were able to climb over a 6 foot boulder, then I'm not all that interested. I won't be participating in any flexing competitions and would likely steer around those 6 foot boulders.

By adding lift it is almost impossible to get a better ride then OEM without changing control arm and other components mounts. People that say they have a better ride then stock is due more to larger tires that are placed wider on the jeep. This increases the stability and ride quality of the jeep due to the wider track. Coil ride and shocks are subjective and you will see one person saying how one ides stiff while another says they ride soft. The main reason AEV gets good makes in ride quality is due to the fact they move the lower arm mounts which retains stock like geometry but sacrifices ground clearance. JKS, Ranchero, Rough Country all make relocation brackets for stock arms just like AEV. Teraflex, RK, MC and many others do not move bracket locations until you go long arm so when you are comparing those companies you must realize the geometry is suspect and your choice is basically coming down to completeness of the kit and the joints they use on their arms and links.

If you want the best ride you can get keep the lift as low as you can to run the tire size you want to run and run a rod end that uses an OEM type bushing or one like MC or synergy uses at least on the frame end to offer resistance from vibration transfer fro the suspension to the frame. These type of rod ends will also give you a bit more cushion to the feel of the suspension. Coil choice will be determined by what you are doing with your jeep as well as how heavy it is. There is no reason to run a dual rate coil if you are so heavy that you have one of the rates full compressed just like if you are looking at maxing out travel you don't want a linear or progressive coil that may run on the short side. If you run with a lot of gear you might need to run a higher rate coil like the OME HD or run a light weight coil for rock crawling and road comfort. Things like heigh speed cornering and coil unloading during climbing may be issues you want to address with coils and shocks.

You can go on and on about lift kits and what brand but until you really understand the components and what affect lift has on them you are just searching in the dark and taking advise from most that know about as much as you do on the subject.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for metalcloak. I can tell you after dealing with Teraflex arms, I hate greasing and I hate changing joints.

I can't speak for RK, but MC joints don't require any greasing - the steel ball/rubber joint are fused and one piece. It is probably in my head, but since only changing my arms it seems to flex easier - more misalignment than my teraflex arms, and I didn't grease enough as I should have. I've had their coils for a while, and while most of this stuff is all subjective, watching their engineering videos they aren't just linear coils with a dead spot - yes part of the coils are touching, meaning they are basically spacers, but the dual rates are within useable travel.

The "rides better than stock" comments are definitely nuts. Mine rides predictable and nice for a lifted jeep, and I didn't cheap out on anything...but I'd guess stock rides better on road.

AEV seems like a waste of money, its just oem crap and new brackets at a giant mark up.

One thing to pay attention to - you will never read a negative review on this site or JKO about MC. customer service is top notch, products are top notch...I've never read a bad thing. RK, there seems to be a fair amount of negative posts about them.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:33 AM
JK Newbie

Would one of the Metalcloak Overland 2.5" kits be a better option than the AEV DualSport XT 2.5" kit for a daily driver? Both look like they use brackets to relocate the control arms. Metalcloak costs a fair amount more, and has a few options for their Overland kits.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flea
Would one of the Metalcloak Overland 2.5" kits be a better option than the AEV DualSport XT 2.5" kit for a daily driver? Both look like they use brackets to relocate the control arms. Metalcloak costs a fair amount more, and has a few options for their Overland kits.
driven both, I like the ride of the MC coils w/ OME shocks better. Ride is subjective. And most people that vote one way or the other own that lift and has no experience with the other set up, so good luck sorting through the info.
I use to think RK was the best lift ever, bc it was the only thing I knew. It's still a great lift, but the coils are way too stiff on road for me now that I've ran other lifts and know the difference
Old 10-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mds22
driven both, I like the ride of the MC coils w/ OME shocks better. Ride is subjective. And most people that vote one way or the other own that lift and has no experience with the other set up, so good luck sorting through the info.
I use to think RK was the best lift ever, bc it was the only thing I knew. It's still a great lift, but the coils are way too stiff on road for me now that I've ran other lifts and know the difference
Just curious when you purchased the coils? We recently switched to a complete triple-rate lineup. Our older dual rates had a harder transition and the original linear coils were even a higher spring rate. If you're ever at a show and want to see how the new ones feel, let us know. . . we like to show them off.

As for maintenance. Our joints barely take grease (they are super tight). If you can get half a pump in them a year I'd be surprised. WD40 on our joints is the (do at every oil change). It is not required but if you're primarily daily driving it helps keep the exposed ball looking good.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Just wanted to update everyone that I went with the 2.5" RK Flex kit with Bilsteins.

I appreciate everyone's input and will update this thread once I get the lift!

Anyone have tips with installation?

Quick Reply: Lift Suggestions - $1400 budget