Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift with Steering Stabilizer

Old 05-13-2013, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift with Steering Stabilizer

When is a steering stabilizer recommended? I am getting a 2.5" lift and 33's. Is a stabilizer necessary or overkill?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

The stock ones are terrible regardless of tire. It' always good to upgrade, especially with a flip kit. Let me know what you want, I may be able to help you out.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

^No.

Actually the stock ones are pretty good. You don't need to replace it unless its bent, dented, or leaking. I would however relocate it up and out of harms way.

Bilstiens are notorious of leaking, and just like all the other nitrogen charged SS's, will cause the JK to pull one direction or the other unless you run a dual kit, which is a complete waste IMO.

Your cheaper ones, are, well, cheaper. The OME stabilizer is prolly one of the better ones, but it works as good as stock. The teraflex one I had for all of 3 days I could feel cavitate by hand (bad).

So again, stock is fine. Unless you plan on running a real fancy stabilizer (hydro assist)
Old 05-13-2013, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by streetron12
When is a steering stabilizer recommended? I am getting a 2.5" lift and 33's. Is a stabilizer necessary or overkill?
Consider replacing the stock SS at 50k like the shocks along with relocating it. OME is a solid investment.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

the stock SS is plenty if your lift upgrade is done properly. any guidance to swap your stock SS to solve front end issues is not sound advice unless the SS has been damaged or has failed.

You should be able to run without the SS (not recommended for long term use) but just to prove a point that a properly setup front end is just that, properly setup. I still have my stock SS at 76000+ miles, 3.5" lift, 35's and yes I wheel it often. only change I made to the SS was to lift up and out of the way.

if they try to push you to add a SS and tell you that you will need it with their lift - shop for another lift, that should be a red flag. save your $$$ keep the stock unit

many of the stock components on the jeep are actually very good.

Last edited by jeeeep; 05-14-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Another vote for a relo bracket and running the stock one til it dies.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 PM
JK Junkie

x2, on what others said above the stock SS. If I was to get an aftermarket SS it will only be purely cosmetic as the stock one does fine as long as its not damaged....

Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default get a dual stabilizer, you won't regret it!

I had a 2" lift w/ 33" tires installed recently and had the stock steering stabilizer replaced w/ an aftermarket single ss that was recommended by the shop or that they thought was pertinent to charge me for. Prob the latter but I digress. After my 10-day checkup they asked me how things were with the lift & I let the shop know that there was a little play and that there was a slight wobble in the steering wheel when driving. This was a similar feel to the OE stabilizer before lift kit and nothing bad or at least similar to what I had been used to for 6 years, but since they were asking I let them know. Having suffered from multiple bouts of death wobble over the past couple of years (when my jeep was stock!) and knowing the true meaning of really bad wobble, they didn't take any chances with me and replaced the ss w/ a pro comp dual ss. I couldn't be happier now! It feels really solid and no wobble or play in the steering wheel. The difference is extremely noticeable and almost of night and day proportions. Driving the Jeep feels awesome and 2 weeks later I'm still getting a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel of the Jeep w/ the new dual stabilizer...can't wait to go wheeling and test it out on the trails!

My vote is to upgrade to a dual ss. do it now...get to tha choppa!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tastypeppers
I had a 2" lift w/ 33" tires installed recently and had the stock steering stabilizer replaced w/ an aftermarket single ss that was recommended by the shop or that they thought was pertinent to charge me for. Prob the latter but I digress. After my 10-day checkup they asked me how things were with the lift & I let the shop know that there was a little play and that there was a slight wobble in the steering wheel when driving. This was a similar feel to the OE stabilizer before lift kit and nothing bad or at least similar to what I had been used to for 6 years, but since they were asking I let them know. Having suffered from multiple bouts of death wobble over the past couple of years (when my jeep was stock!) and knowing the true meaning of really bad wobble, they didn't take any chances with me and replaced the ss w/ a pro comp dual ss. I couldn't be happier now! It feels really solid and no wobble or play in the steering wheel. The difference is extremely noticeable and almost of night and day proportions. Driving the Jeep feels awesome and 2 weeks later I'm still getting a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel of the Jeep w/ the new dual stabilizer...can't wait to go wheeling and test it out on the trails!

My vote is to upgrade to a dual ss. do it now...get to tha choppa!
All in your head and yes your steering is firmer you are now fighting two shocks , stock is fine unless you break it and if you break it find a cheap one and move it out of the way
Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Just the fact that the people who said no think a steering stabilizer has anything to do with a lift kit, I would ignore that advice. The steering stabilizer is mainly necessary due to the horrible understeer during braking that Jeeps have. You can cram 35's under a JK without any lift, and the larger tires will require an upgrade to help reduce the issues of understeer, it has nothing to do with the height of the suspension. It also help when offroad to dampen the impacts to the tires that are transmitted to the steering wheel.

I've installed more than my fair share of Shocks/stabilizers. Not upgrading your stabilizer with bigger tires makes about as much sense as not upgrading your shocks with a lift kit.

Quick Reply: Lift with Steering Stabilizer