Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Recommendations

Old 07-21-2016, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Recommendations

I have a 2014 JK Altitude and am looking to get a lift put on. So far I have aftermarket bumpers, sidesteps, and 33'' duratracs on. I like the look of having a rake, but unfortunately the stock rake went away when I put on my aftermarket bumpers. She sits almost level if not maybe a half inch higher in the front. Would it be okay to put a higher lift on the back than the front so I can get the rake back? I was thinking maybe a 2.5" in the rear and a 1-1.5" in the front. Does this sound viable. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would Just get (X) lift and put a 1/2 coil spacers in the back if you like the rake look. For me the only Rake I want on a vehicle is one on a Pickup truck that way when I'm pulling my Jeep the Truck is leveled.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With an aftermarket rear bumper, tire carrier, and 35" Nittos, the rear end of my 2 door Jeep was pathetically low even with a 2.5" lift kit installed. I was fortunate enough that the place I got the kit from did an exchange with me for the 4 door 2.5" springs. That brought me back up to about level. A spacer would work to bring it a little higher if you want a factory rake.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Seems strange, most everyone tries to get rid of rake problems, but now someone wants to achieve rake.

Just as an FYI, from my understanding other than aesthetics one of the concerns with having too much rake is with the nose dive that your JK does in the event if you ever have to slam on your brakes which can lead to dangerous situations and outcomes in the event of an accident. So before trying to achieve rake, I would recommend doing some more research to find out about the negative aspects of having too much rake since you may be headed down a path of choosing looks over safety.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Rake is there so you can load up the rear with gear or hook a trailer on and you don't look dumb driving down the road with the front end pointed towards the sky. Most won't adjust their headlights either so they blind people in both oncoming and when behind. I don't understand why so many try and level the jeep? Makes no sense to me.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Rake really has nothing to do with brake dive, that is caused by the location of the control arm mounts and their orientation. This is also know as squat or anti-squat in suspension terms. It is how the suspension deals with weight shift during acceleration and barking.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Rake is there so you can load up the rear with gear or hook a trailer on and you don't look dumb driving down the road with the front end pointed towards the sky. Most won't adjust their headlights either so they blind people in both oncoming and when behind. I don't understand why so many try and level the jeep? Makes no sense to me.
Yep you level your Jeep you put a ton of camping gear in the back and hook a trailer or camper to it. Then you wonder why al the people on the road are flashing their headlights at you.....
Old 07-21-2016, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Add a winch to the front...
Old 07-24-2016, 10:31 PM
JK Newbie

I appreciate the input everybody. I'm not looking to have the rake be something that may cause a safety concern. I am looking at having the rear to be 1 inch higher than the front. Any suggestions on what exactly I should get? Any under $1k is what I'm looking for. I'm not too big into off roading, but I do hit the trails on occasion. No rock climbing though. Just food for thought. Thanks everybody!
Old 07-25-2016, 06:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Most kits will retain the factory rake although some are designed to get rid of it. A simple coil spacer lift will fit the bill for you and will cost very little. Synergy sells just the spacers in different heights so you can get the amount of rake you want. Daystar also sells individual spacers. There are 1.5" coil lift springs available from I think Rock Krawler and Off road evolution that will give you a small amount of lift in a longer coil. With either way you go you will need longer shocks or some shock extension, longer sway bar links, and some extra bump stop to maintain full articulation.

Quick Reply: Lift Recommendations