Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lift questions...

Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift questions...

So, I'll be ordering a lift soon. I'm questioning whether or not to install it myself or have it done? If I have it done, should it be done by the dealership? If not done by the dealer are they going to hassel my over warranty?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Most lofts are as easy as a tire change. Not sure how friendly your dealer is with after market lifts. I read both sides. Sometimes they will only put in lifts they sell. Also, they charge by the book for the kit. So it might only take a few hours to so, but the book might say 6-8 hours. If you basic hand tools you could do it easy.

What lift kit are you going with?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DIY. It doesn't matter who installs your lift and it doesn't matter who makes the lift. If the part you're trying to get warrantied failed because of your lift or tires the dealership will void your warranty.

I had my driveshaft blow up my transfercase going 70 MPH on the freeway. So I got my jeep towed to the dealership for warranty. They laughed and said that the suspension caused the driveshaft to prematurely fail and seizing the zeppa joint causin stress to the transfercase and it's all because of the lift. Well, I'm out $3,500 in repairs with a 2013 JKUR with only 275 miles on the odometer and a voided warranty. Glad I didn't take the lifetime powertrain bait for an additional $2,100

Last edited by Pluke the 2; 02-14-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sgt Mack
Most lofts are as easy as a tire change. Not sure how friendly your dealer is with after market lifts. I read both sides. Sometimes they will only put in lifts they sell. Also, they charge by the book for the kit. So it might only take a few hours to so, but the book might say 6-8 hours. If you basic hand tools you could do it easy.

What lift kit are you going with?
Thinking about the Teraflex 4".
Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
DIY. It doesn't matter who installs your lift and it doesn't matter who makes the lift. If the part you're trying to get warrantied failed because of your lift or tires the dealership will void your warranty.

I had my driveshaft blow up my transfercase going 70 MPH on the freeway. So I got my jeep towed to the dealership for warranty. They laughed and said that the suspension caused the driveshaft to prematurely fail and seizing the zeppa joint causin stress to the transfercase and it's all because of the lift. Well, I'm out $3,500 in repairs with a 2013 JKUR with only 275 miles on the odometer and a voided warranty. Glad I didn't take the lifetime powertrain bait for an additional $2,100
How big is your lift
Old 02-14-2013, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhino49

How big is your lift
2"..........
Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

I had a completely stock JKU snap the track bar bracket snap of my rear axle doing 65 on the freeway and went to the dealership. They said they wouldn't fix it, and would replace the axle but it would take them 2 months with no loner. They said to just take it to a shop and have them weld it.

Basically, even stock or aftermarket, you might have a hard time having them do anything "under warranty".

If you plan on using your jeep, don't count on a dealership b
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

I can't wait to get my lift and tires! Can't decide which wheels I want yet.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A TF 4" is good for 37s and you'll need new driveshafts, so budget for those. Put a 2.5" lift on with 35s and you can get away with stock driveshafts for modest wheeling.

I'd definately suggest you install it yourself - you'll learn a lot about your jeep. You'll need wrenches, sockets, trolley jack, jack stands. Download and take a look at the install instructions, Teraflex is very do-able in a home garage.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Back in 2001 I installed a coil conversion on my YJ. BIG project! Being my JKUR is new, I just want to make EVERYTHING is correct. All the geometry and all.

Quick Reply: lift questions...