Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lift question... please help.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:25 AM
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypeiv
The Fox shocks would be better than the teraflex shocks... just depends on how much you want to spend.

For the 2012 you need to get a new front driveshaft or an exhaust spacer. Some people claim to get by without it but other have torn their stock front driveshaft boot and had failures quickly so it might depend on how hard you wheel the Jeep. If you plan to wheel it hard I would recommend getting the new front driveshaft and not messing with the exhaust spacers.
where do you recommend I get a new front driveshaft? is that what you did to yours?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronstephen
a couple of questions for you: I have read in a few places that the new 2012 JKU's need an exhaust extension with a lift? also would it be worth upgrading to the Fox Shocks with this lift? especially since i head to silver lake a lot...

Thanks
Correct on the exhaust spacers being needed for the 2012's. TeraFlex was the first company to release a exhaust spacer kit for the 2012 models. Here's the part | TeraFlex Suspensions . The Fox shocks are awesome and worth the upgrade. However if you add those, you will want upgrade that front driveshaft. With the 2.5" TeraFlex shocks you won't but since the Fox shocks are for 2.5"-4" kits, you will want to consider that.

Last edited by TeraFlex; 07-20-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do a TF 2.5 coil lift with shock extensions over a BB with shocks, my 2 cents.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronstephen
where do you recommend I get a new front driveshaft? is that what you did to yours?
I bought mine from Northridge4x4 who are sponcers of this site. I went with the coast 1310 with CV joints. It is the one recommended to me by the site admin wayoflife who said he used it on his buddies jeep which was running a 3inch lift and 35's and it was fine off road without the exhaust spacers.

With the exhaust spacers you won't hit the cross over pipe but the driveshaft will be at a very sharp angle and might fail sooner than latter. Since its the front driveshaft its not really the end of the world if it fails... if you are in the middle of a tough trail when it fails you might have to get pulled out by another Jeep but you will still be able to drive home in 2wd. Some people have gone exhaust spacers and just said they would buy the driveshaft if/when the stock one fails.

I personally chose to go with the Drive shaft b/c in my last car once I started messing with the exhaust it opened up a whole bunch of issues with exhaust rattling, bad A/F ratios and exhaust leaks. Its VERY unlikely the TF spacers will have those issues if installed correctly but for me I didn't want to even get that started.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 AM
-

I bought mine from Northridge4x4 who are sponcers of this site. I went with the coast 1310 with CV joints. It is the one recommended to me by the site admin wayoflife who said he used it on his buddies jeep which was running a 3inch lift and 35's and it was fine off road without the exhaust spacers.

With the exhaust spacers you won't hit the cross over pipe but the driveshaft will be at a very sharp angle and might fail sooner than latter. Since its the front driveshaft its not really the end of the world if it fails... if you are in the middle of a tough trail when it fails you might have to get pulled out by another Jeep but you will still be able to drive home in 2wd. Some people have gone exhaust spacers and just said they would buy the driveshaft if/when the stock one fails.

I personally chose to go with the Drive shaft b/c in my last car once I started messing with the exhaust it opened up a whole bunch of issues with exhaust rattling, bad A/F ratios and exhaust leaks. Its VERY unlikely the TF spacers will have those issues if installed correctly but for me I didn't want to even get that started.
Thanks for your help. Very helpful info.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

If you buy that kit you will still need to get rear brake line relocation brackets or new brake hoses for the rear.
This is incorrect. The brake line relocation brackets aren't needed for this lift.

You would also likely want to relocate your front sway links to the back and buy some adjustable front sway links.
This is why you can't believe everything you read on a forum. Who relocates FRONT sway bar links to the rear?!?

Then on top of all that you will need to buy bump stops front and rear.
You don't need bump stops for RC lift as their shocks come built in with them.

The only thing you need to buy is longer rear sway bar links. About $80 for adjustables. You can move your stock rears to the front if you're not going to disconnect the front. If you will, then get quick disconnects, which aren't included in the TF lift anyway.

Quick Reply: lift question... please help.