Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift question. Coils or pucks?

Old 11-23-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Coils. Better suspension and the same amount of work.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both. Running 2.5" coils now. On my old 07 2 door jk I was running 4" black diamond spacers with JKUR springs. My lift was a true 4" and honestly had no problems. The ride and offroad ability was not any different than what Im running now. I still got a lot of flex on that set up and it really didnt make a difference in the ride.

Either way is a win honestly
Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thx

Thank you for the responses. My only concern now is the rake. Can I do 2.5 coil kit with 3/4 spacers in the front?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 856kid
Thank you for the responses. My only concern now is the rake. Can I do 2.5 coil kit with 3/4 spacers in the front?
yes you can.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default To your question

Coils.....not really a question IMO!!!

Last edited by mangotangojk; 11-24-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

First you have to answer two primary questions honestly:
1. Is it mainly just for looks? If it is. Pucks are cheap, safe and look great. Go for it.

2. Will you be disappointed in a budget boost? If you have any doubts ... regardless of what you use it for. Then save and get the coils.

By the way. I know guys who wheel much harder than me on spacers. Soo...

Either way your jeep will look better and perform better. Again make sure you do not get something you'll be disappointed in or be strong armed into buying more than you need or can afford.

I personally run a rough country 2.5 coil system and love it. Others here hate RC. You're starting out great by asking. Good luck.

Ol' Bob
Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I feel that I qualify to answer this question as I currently have spacers and wheel hard. I went with Rough Country 2.5" spacers just to get enough lift to clear my 315/70 Duratracs. This allowed me to have enough funds left to purchase front and rear bumpers, sliders, and a winch. I found that I rubbed my stock fenders too much with the kind of wheeling we do so I had to change out to Bushwacker flares.

Here are some examples of the wheeling I do on the spacers:

http://youtu.be/yVCzvdG0CP8

http://youtu.be/eZeFzkBQFsE

I now have the funds to upgrade so I'm about to pull the trigger on a suspension system and am really liking what the Metal Cloak Game Changer has to offer.

Don't be fooled into thinking that you have to spend a ton of money to go off road and have fun. I'd recommend good skids, sliders, and a winch first, then have at it.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ranjr
I feel that I qualify to answer this question as I currently have spacers and wheel hard. I went with Rough Country 2.5" spacers just to get enough lift to clear my 315/70 Duratracs. This allowed me to have enough funds left to purchase front and rear bumpers, sliders, and a winch. I found that I rubbed my stock fenders too much with the kind of wheeling we do so I had to change out to Bushwacker flares.

http://youtu.be/yVCzvdG0CP8

http://youtu.be/eZeFzkBQFsE

I now have the funds to upgrade so I'm about to pull the trigger on a suspension system and am really liking what the Metal Cloak Game Changer has to offer.

Don't be fooled into thinking that you have to spend a ton of money to go off road and have fun. I'd recommend good skids, sliders, and a winch first, then have at it.
Great vids.

See there.. Another guy with pucks that wheels harder than me.

Solid advice here. Oh yeah. Nice jeep.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ol' Bob
Great vids.

See there.. Another guy with pucks that wheels harder than me.

Solid advice here. Oh yeah. Nice jeep.
Agreed! The last two post ^^ here are some solid advice, thanks!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I had the same problem...

Originally Posted by ranjr

Wheelin' World 11/17/2012 - YouTube

IMG 0378 - YouTube

I too have 315/70/17's and rubbed smashed and destroyed my OEM fenders I ended up going with ACE Fenders! I am glad to hear that I was not the only one!

Quick Reply: Lift question. Coils or pucks?