Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift purchase list

Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift purchase list

I was going to go with a TeraFlex 3" suspension with full flexarm + shocks, http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...rod=TF-1451300 (going on an Unlimited with some 35" Duratracs, brake line extensions, a 5.13 regear, an updated driveshaft, shrockworks front bumper, winch, haven't picked a rear bumper yet)

But, I've seen some posts that the AEV unit provides better ride for daily driver. Now I haven't decided to switch to an AEV setup yet, but I am looking at it to figure out what's going on.
The AEV 3.5 Premium system http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=AEV-NTH02P is quite a bit less than the TeraFlex one - over $500 less expensive. I've also seen some posts about people installing the AEV along with parts from TeraFlex and a couple other companies to make a complete install.

So what other pieces from the Northridge4x4 site would you suggest I buy if I went with that AEV setup? The AEV site claims they are 'complete' packages...

(I have used 'search' and i've read a billion posts, problem is it is hard to tell the ones that 3 months later turn in to 'wish I had...' from the people that have way too much money from the people who want a crazy rock crawler and don't care about highway)

Last edited by X-caiver; 03-30-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Look at the 'complete' parts lists for both lifts so you can make a better comparison.

That link to the aev kit at northridge does not show components, but for the price, I would guess it comes with CAMS and not adjustable ca's.

The link to the TF kit indicates both upper & lower adj ca's - instead of cams!!!

Anyway, see which parts are different and/or missing from either kit, then decide which are important to you and go from there...
Old 03-31-2010, 02:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Give Dave a call at Northridge.

I asked him a lot of these similar questions and he answered all of my questions in 5 minutes! He did not recommend the AEV lift for me and suggested it would not be as smooth of a ride as the OME kit I was looking at.

For me, the extra $500 would be fully justifiable for the control arms.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each kit has some plusses and minueses. I would say that the AEV kit has better springs, shocks, and geometry than the Tera kit. Tera has the better brake extensions, better caster correction, and I would say has more bang for the buck.

The best of both worlds would be the AEV kit with brake line extensions, and Teraflex control arms.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Giving Dave a call is on the 'to do list'. A couple months ago I'd convinced myself that I wanted the TF kit with the full control arm setup, and Dave pointed out that I should consider upgrading drive shaft while I was mucking about. I was only talking about the TF kit at that point though.

It wasn't until I was just casually reading posts again that I started to waffle (someone had had both kits and was talking about the progressive spring being really nice)

I've already ordered a set of 4" Crown brake extensions, so it doesn't really matter which lines come with either kits.

Quick Reply: Lift purchase list