Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Options... Please make up my mind!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Options... Please make up my mind!

Ok... I've been on here for a while and I've searched and read a lot about the wide array of available lifts and I'm still without a decisison.

Which lift to choose?

It will be on a Rubi Unlimited. I need to clear 35's, keep it a daily driver but wheel it 1 X a month, and under I'd like to keep it to $600 with shocks if needed. The other thing is it seems like a waste to replace the Rubi shocks. Long term I'd like to add a winch but that's a ways out but I will need to carry the full spare.

So far it seems like FT, TF and OME are the tops but I'm seeing a lot of people running Claytons. I need you guys to make up my mind. I'd love to do a long arm but obviously they are out of my budget. My main concern is the pinion angle and keeping it in the sweet spot to avoid the flighty stearing. If it were not for that I'd probably go the budget route.

Can you guys make up my mind?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TeraFlex has 6 different 2.5" kits in that price range that would work for you. Are you planning on wheel spacers or new wheels/tires?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

BDS builds very nice kits. This is a 4.5" kit we did. This is with 37" tires.

Sam
Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well you are limited to $600.

So that gives you what? Teraflex, Rough Country and i think BDS makes spacer lifts....

I have seen the Teraflex kit and its really nice. i believe also Rubicon Express makes a kit too thinking about it.

The Rubi shocks are nice and you can get the shock extensions for the Teraflex kit. So to retain them.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JeepDog

So that gives you what? Teraflex, Rough Country and i think BDS makes spacer lifts....

I have seen the Teraflex kit and its really nice. i believe also Rubicon Express makes a kit too thinking about it.

The Rubi shocks are nice and you can get the shock extensions for the Teraflex kit. So to retain them.
Another good choice is Rusty's 3.25 lift....and it is only $550.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepDog

After the $ of the Rubi, spacers and Tires, I'll be sure to be pushing the limits of my better half's patience budget more than the fiscal one. I figure if I can find something I can add to in time all that much better. If I do a full spring rather than a spacer I can eventually add the control arms at a later date and so on... I love the stock Rubi wheels and it seems that running 35's on those isn't much of an issue as long as you use the spacers and a large enough lift.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather not piece one together but to support the habit I'll do what I have to. Anyway I really want to avoid the flighty stearing but I haven't seen any comments on that recently so the question is... it is a non issue? Thanks for the feedback so far.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Famof5Jeep
After the $ of the Rubi, spacers and Tires, I'll be sure to be pushing the limits of my better half's patience budget more than the fiscal one. I figure if I can find something I can add to in time all that much better. If I do a full spring rather than a spacer I can eventually add the control arms at a later date and so on... I love the stock Rubi wheels and it seems that running 35's on those isn't much of an issue as long as you use the spacers and a large enough lift.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather not piece one together but to support the habit I'll do what I have to. Anyway I really want to avoid the flighty stearing but I haven't seen any comments on that recently so the question is... it is a non issue? Thanks for the feedback so far.
With the Teraflex 2.5 BB, our steering was a little flighty and sometimes it wouldnt track straight after hitting a bounce on the highway. We drove it like that for about 10K, so it really wasnt that bad, but it was still noticable.

Ive been slowing upgrading it to a fully adjustable 3" lift; and with each new component the handling definitely improves. The front control arms made the biggest difference so far.

Last edited by bly109; 07-07-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Been there done that. I bought the TF BB 2.5" after racking my brain I went to the local Jeep dealer and talked to their "lift expert" We spent like 30 minutes talking about lifts. I went in a rookie, but came out with a good sense of what I wanted. We walked around and he showed me the after market lifts the dealer installed on the new JKs. He pointed out things he would do or what should be done. I use mine as a daily driver and Light offroader. I highly recommend seeing one before you decide

Quick Reply: Lift Options... Please make up my mind!