Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

To Lift or Not to Lift? Need Opinions

Old 11-04-2007, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Lift or Not to Lift? Need Opinions

I'm debating on adding another lift to my JK.... I have a 2 inch body lift, but am debating on adding a 3" Suspension Lift. I have 33 inch tires right now, and would like to go higher, but not sure if it's worth the money. I need your opinions..... Take a look at how it looks now and tell me if it needs to be higher/beefier... Thanks.

Last edited by DiscoDave; 11-04-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

it looks good the way it is, i'm suprised the body lift doesn't look as bad as i was expecting for a two inch... if you plan on wheeling it, then i would say lift it more for the ground clearance and run 35's if you're looking to save some cash, stick with a 2" budget boost. with the body lift thats on there you should be able to clear 35s without any issues.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For every one that posts about problems their are probably nine others without problems.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

DiscoD...Looks real good as is. Could use a new front bumper. Are you wheeling or just cruisin? Some black trim...decals or tape. Somekind of rockrails for appearance & function. Looks aggressive with the black wheels.
Just FYI...with the 3" lift and 35 tires...getting in and out is not so pleasurable. My wife needs a step stool.

Last edited by awfrode; 11-04-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

I like the looks of those rims. Who makes them and what size? I also, have a red Jeep; although a 2-door debating on whether to go with black or silver rims? I am going with 35s and a 3" lift.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Rebel. The wheels are made by Pacer and are called 252B Streetlocks. The size is 16x7..... I'm seriously debating on another lift also (hence, this thread).....

Sonic, the lift was all around and didn't come with the front bumper relocation kit, but did for the back. So, the back bumper was lifted and the front was not. I think I'll order a new front bumper and get it raised a bit.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DiscoDave
I'm debating on adding another lift to my JK.... I have a 2 inch body lift, but am debating on adding a 3" Suspension Lift. I have 33 inch tires right now, and would like to go higher, but not sure if it's worth the money. I need your opinions..... Take a look at how it looks now and tell me if it needs to be higher/beefier... Thanks.
I think it looks great the way it is.

Originally Posted by tgrt
For every one that posts about problems their are probably nine others without problems.
More like 99 others without problems.

Originally Posted by N2rock
I want to lift so bad... But it seems like almost daily someone is posting on here about an ESP issue, or a weld breaking, or etc etc etc... Always related to their lift. I'm thinking that since this is a relatively new vehicle, all the bugs haven't been worked out yet. So I'm going to wait another year and let everyone else be the guinea pigs. So my opinion is wait unless you really need it for the trails you are running.
You have to keep in mind that many of the people that post questions and complaints about their lifts here and on other forums is because they are having problems and they either want them resolved or want them aired so that others don't make the same mistakes. Those that aren't having problems may have posted a few times prior to getting their lift, but are likely enjoying their lift and not posting as often. I know when I got my TJ in '05, I was on another forum 24/7 trying to get answers and recommendations for tires, wheels, lifts and bumpers. Once I upgraded and everything ran fine, I think I posted 1 picture of the finished product and visited the forum on occassion, but not as often. I use the forum as a resource as do most of the members here.

Also, with very few exceptions, many of the problems that folks are having with their lifts are related to improper installation of the lift or incorrect on-road and off-road driving habits that place undue stress on the lift components. If you drive it improperly on a trail (or even on the road), even a stock suspension system will fail.

Follow the advice of the more experienced members on this forum and you cannot go wrong. If you want a lift, get yourself a lift, but install it properly, drive responsibly and enjoy your lifted Jeep.

Alex
Old 11-05-2007, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N2rock
and then suddenly you have someone that has had no problems come on here and report about a broken weld- https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=broken+weld

Just because 90% do not currently have a problem is no guarantee that they will remain problem free

N2rock,
For what it's worth I'm with you...I had intially planned on a BB but due to the numerous issues I saw on these forums I returned it. I'm sure chances are that there would be no problems but I also didn't want the headache of dealers blaming the lift on any warranty items that may come up. That was probably my bigger hang up versus the esp issues, etc. I know all about the dealer has to prove the problem was caused by the lift but if you think about it unless you lawyer up your at there mercy.

So, to the OP, my vote would be to skip the lift unless you need it.

Al
Old 01-13-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default After the lift and tires

Here are some pics after the second lift (first was a 2 inch body, second was three inch suspension):

Old 01-13-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like you made the right choice! Very nice.

Quick Reply: To Lift or Not to Lift? Need Opinions