Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Mistake

Old 06-02-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlejon
With most lifts you can't run your tranny skid unless you trim it to make sure it won't hit. If you read the directions of most lifts they have you discard this skid, especially with as much droop as you have. Even with an aftermarket shaft you will probably have a clearance issue, and need to trim the skid.
We trimmed the skid but the DS didn't hit the skid. Either the boot hit the tranny pan or the slip yoke extended too far.

Edit:

Just got off the phone with Mopar tech support. They said this shouldn't have happened and to replace the DS with another stock DS. If it happens a 2nd time, they'll escalate the issue.

Last edited by bikerglen; 06-02-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikerglen
Just got off the phone with Mopar tech support. They said this shouldn't have happened and to replace the DS with another stock DS. If it happens a 2nd time, they'll escalate the issue.
I would think the only advantage of going with a "mopar" lift is that it would be fully warrantied. So I'd say you should have no worries no matter how many driveshafts you blow out.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MaloCS
Is this a warranty issue? If so I would jump all over a warrantied drive shaft before Fiat takes complete control. Hell, maybe you can talk to the shop manager at your dealer and see if you can get the cost of a stock drive shaft applied to an after market unit.
It will be replaced under warranty. The new front DS has a different part # than the original DS it replaces which means they they might have made a few improvements.

Originally Posted by MaloCS
Good luck.
Thanks.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have 2 inch springs but i put 3/4 inch spacers on mine to net me exactly 3 inchs of lift. I have 3,000 on my set up so far no problems. M
Old 06-02-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

First run out, rip front DS boot on tranny pan.
Hopefully the more experienced forum members will chime in to correct or expand on my post...I have read before that some times with a lift the axles shift slightly to the left or right (not sure which side it shifts on the front or rear axles). But if the front axle did shift closer to the side closest to the trans & with the flex caused by wheeling, the combination would have caused the boot to rip prematurely...With that theory said, maybe having a front adjustable track would help recenter the axles, thus giving back the stock distance/clearance from the DS to the trans....If i am on the right track, maybe purchasing an ADJ track bar would be beneficial after the dealership replaces your DS...best of luck & keep us posted....
Old 06-02-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We trimmed the skid but the DS didn't hit the skid. Either the boot hit the tranny pan or the slip yoke extended too far.

Edit:

I guess that my next sugestion even though they are taking care of the shaft is find a ramp to test it on, and go up with the drivers side, and again with the passenger side (with the skid in place) to the maximum articulation and see if you are hitting anywhere. Also you may want to put it on a lift as well just to see if something is only hitting, or causing over extension when in a situation where the front has little weight on it (like high center type of situation). It may sound like it is silly, but sometimes stuff only happens durring flex, and this would be the only way to find it. I would probably do this with the old drive shaft on just to make sure you don't do anything to the new one to damage it.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aldaman
But if the front axle did shift closer to the side closest to the trans & with the flex caused by wheeling, the combination would have caused the boot to rip prematurely...With that theory said, maybe having a front adjustable track would help recenter the axles, thus giving back the stock distance/clearance from the DS to the trans....
That's a really good idea. The lift includes a front adjustable track bar. I will mention to double check the centering of the front axle when they replace the drive shaft.

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I guess that my next sugestion even though they are taking care of the shaft is find a ramp to test it on, and go up with the drivers side, and again with the passenger side (with the skid in place) to the maximum articulation and see if you are hitting anywhere. Also you may want to put it on a lift as well just to see if something is only hitting, or causing over extension when in a situation where the front has little weight on it (like high center type of situation). It may sound like it is silly, but sometimes stuff only happens durring flex, and this would be the only way to find it. I would probably do this with the old drive shaft on just to make sure you don't do anything to the new one to damage it.
Another excellent idea. I'll find an articulation ramp before I replace the drive shaft. We did put the vehicle up on a lift and let the wheels falls to full droop. The shaft did not hit the skid even at full droop. The shaft did look extended a bit far. It's tough to pull the boot to cover the entire splined area even when on the ground.

I do think over extended is the more likely issue than a tranny pan hit or a tranny skid hit at this point.

Thanks for the really great ideas. We'll get this figured out.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just finished reading a bunch of threads regarding this Mopar 2" lift. Has there been any resolution, solution to the drive shaft probems voiced in the above posts?? I have been thinking of getting this lift since I am getting quit a deal from my dealership that would price it at or close to the prices of after market equivalent.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

... but the front bumper came up 4" and the rear bumper came up 1/2". I can fit my entire head in both the front and rear wheel wells.
It all depends on the size of your head... Here are two different sizes

Small vs. Full Size

Old 10-06-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Rub61
Just finished reading a bunch of threads regarding this Mopar 2" lift. Has there been any resolution, solution to the drive shaft probems voiced in the above posts?? I have been thinking of getting this lift since I am getting quit a deal from my dealership that would price it at or close to the prices of after market equivalent.
The problem is the lift height, not the brand of the lift. Doesn't matter who makes it or who installs it, just a simple fact that the higher you go, the more likely driveshaft issues become. So if the dealer is installing, make sure they will actually warranty - or you would probably be better off going aftermarket.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-06-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Lift Mistake