Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift and max tire sizes

Old 04-21-2008, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift and max tire sizes

why do the four inch lifts kit say max tire size 12.50
Old 04-21-2008, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

my guess is because of during flex, the springs compress and go from looking tall and skinny, to short and fat - so I would think that when turning with a 12.5 inch wide tire during a flex that compresses one of the springs, your tire will rub against the spring.

But then again, I don't know because really rubbing and all those issues have to do with the wheel backspacing of the tire. Anywhere from 3.75" to 4.5" of backspacing I heard is just do able for a 12.5 inch wide tire.

Again, my guess is because of spring compression during a flex and turning the wheel at the same time - it might just be a safety precaution to keep from rubbing and possibly damaging the spring and/or tire.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the heads up...i went and bought 37s but i dont have a big enough lift to put them on...i guess i will just stare at them to i get my lift
Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is mainly to prevent you from rubbing the tire on the frame and or control arms (depending on if you run aftermarket arms) when turning, but putting some washers on the sterring stops should help you out there...
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

do the Rubicon Express 3.5 or 4.5 inch lift for the JK you have...one of those, with your 37's is so sick! My mechanic who helps me with my JK has a 4 door JK with a 3.5" lift and 37's with wheels of 4" of backspacing and his JK is such a monster.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for in the info...im getting tired of falling in ruts of other jeeps and getting stuck..
Old 04-22-2008, 06:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by crajos11
why do the four inch lifts kit say max tire size 12.50
I don't know why the kits in question would give you a max tire width as what the max you can run will be as max will be determined by the amount of back spacing you have on your wheels.

Quick Reply: Lift and max tire sizes