Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LIFT LIFT LIFTS what to pick

Old 01-30-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcr931
Yes they do and they have been nice to deal with so far!
hells yeah...haha that makes it so much better
Old 01-30-2010, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

I have the 3.5 RE kit w/front lowers and OME shocks, still have a flighty feel and a shimmy from 55-65mph, I have adjusted arms to +5.5 caster. I have installed the teraflex kits (3" w/ft arms)on a couple of jk's for the dealership I work for and have been very pleased with their kit. Ride with TF is a fair bit softer and I have had no flighty feel. Both kits were very close in lift height.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jdmda9noke
im also going with the LT OME shocks...does northridge have deals for forum members since thier an advertiser here?
You will be very happy, I got them and love them.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Planman clearly has shown, bushings can ruin your day, your ride and your suspension.

When you start replacing any of the 5-links on the axles look at the specs for each manufacturer's joints.

If they use bushings make sure they use OEM bushings. They are designed for ride quality and durability. Most aftermarket companies do not have to budget to do materials research for parts like this.

If they are using joints make sure they are high quality like the Johnny Joints designed and licensed to others by John Currie.

The suspension is the foundation of your Jeep, if you go cheap you will probably not be satisfied at some point after.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
RE was the innovator for longarms on the TJ, I know alotta peeps who run RE on them with no issues. dburg is right, they seemed to have dropped the ball on the jk.

I'll respond because I’m sure most of the others are to tired to respond. I bought my lift close to a year ago and the bushing issue was already taken care of. It is NOT a design issue but a lack of quality bushing from the bushing manufacturer not RE. And yes it affected more than just this brand. It did seem RE was a little slow in getting the old bushing replaced but as stated it was taked care of long ago.

I can even tell by the pics posted the two bushings were made of different materials.

Any way happy hunting on the lift, it is a doorway into spending money on your jeep habit.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Clayton 3.5 lift, I don't know if you'll find a beefier kit or more complete kit out there, yes it seems pricey but if you price out the components it comes with it's about right.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:21 AM
JK Junkie

The rock krawler 3.5 mid arm flex kit comes with front and rear lower arms, Front adjustable track bar etc. I think you can get it for around 1000.00. Everyone who has it seems to be happy. Thats what im going with.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
RE isn't the only manufacturer to have bushing problems. Full Traction gets as much heat as RE and they are still an advertiser here.

Anyway, google:

re jk bushings
re jk bushings superflex
rubicon express bushings
rubicon express control arm bushings

You will have hours of reading ahead of you.

Do searches on this and every other forum related to jeeps and JKs, and you will find it is a chronic problem for RE.

Here are some RE bushings from one JK owner with 6k miles on the kit:

It ended up damaging his control arm:

From a different JK owner with even fewer miles on his kit:

From a TJ owner:

Another TJ owner:

Another TJ owner:

I wouldn't be suprised if you pulled your RE control arms you would see at least the beginnings of bushing failure.

It is not limited to the JK long arm due to the rear arm design, it is chronic on their JK short arm and on their TJ kits.

I put RE steering stabilizers on my JK and one of our TJs. The bushings failed within a couple thousand miles.

I have an RE long arm on one of our TJs that sees very little street time. The bushings are beginning to fail.
Great info planman, Yes, I do pick on the RE guys on here, but I'm not a hater on them , just like for people to have some kind of heads up before dropping money on a kit when there is a consistent problem.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for all of thier imput, and information

I was wondering if i went with the teraflex kit...if later down the road i decided to replace the coils with OME HD coils due to alot of added weight (bumpers winch, spare tire, ect.) what else would need to be replaced on the kit?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, almost forgot, - Planman= Boss of the Bushing.

Quick Reply: LIFT LIFT LIFTS what to pick