Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lift kits and ride quality

Old 04-22-2008, 05:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cryptic
A friend of mine has a TJ with a 4" lift. Looks great - but ride quality is horrible. Steering is dubious; ride is bouncy/rolly. No idea how a stock TJ handles - but for sure my stock JK Sport rides much better.

I am not expecting sports car handling from my JK! I guess the choice of lift kit itself plays a significant part. And whether budget or a full-on replacement suspension system. But If I were to lift it, should I expect handling (on- or off-road) to improve or get worse?

Those who have installed a lift - apart from ground clearance, how did the lift affect the handling of your Jeep?
I have a TJ that has a 6" long arm kit on it and I can assure you, that if you ride in it today, you will agree that it rides at least as good as a stock JK if not better - just ask OffTopic or anyone else who's riden in it. Is it just because it is a Full Traction long arm kit? Not necessarily. While it is an amazing kit with longer control arms and tons of great design elements, I've also made sure to get high quality monotube shocks (will keep your ride from being bouncy/rolly), made sure that I'm running the proper tire pressure (anything more than 30psi in a 35" tire will make your ride feel harsh) and made sure to dial in my suspension and steering (keeps it driving straight and responsively).

Having said all that, a good BB kit will allow you to retain much of what you already have stock so nothing will change there and if you decided to go higher, just make sure to get high quality shocks, keep your tire pressure set properly and get a kit that will allow you to dial in your ride so that you can insure the quality of your ride.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i totally agree with way o life. my tj with a 6 long arm was great. better than my gf's stock tj . but my jk with tf 2.5 and shock extensions rides great but its stiffer than stock and im happy with it.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by wayoflife
I have a TJ that has a 6" long arm kit on it and I can assure you, that if you ride in it today, you will agree that it rides at least as good as a stock JK if not better - just ask OffTopic or anyone else who's riden in it. Is it just because it is a Full Traction long arm kit? Not necessarily. While it is an amazing kit with longer control arms and tons of great design elements, I've also made sure to get high quality monotube shocks (will keep your ride from being bouncy/rolly), made sure that I'm running the proper tire pressure (anything more than 30psi in a 35" tire will make your ride feel harsh) and made sure to dial in my suspension and steering (keeps it driving straight and responsively).

Having said all that, a good BB kit will allow you to retain much of what you already have stock so nothing will change there and if you decided to go higher, just make sure to get high quality shocks, keep your tire pressure set properly and get a kit that will allow you to dial in your ride so that you can insure the quality of your ride.
WOL's right, I drove his TJ in the desert, and it rides great, On 37's. It rode better than my TJ on 33's. I was really amazed at how well it handled.

It didnt mind high speeds either...
Old 04-22-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by flip2spin23
why does the wife hate it ?
Says its too tall, rides like a truck and not what "she" wanted. Iam happy
Old 04-22-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a TF BB 2.5 ride is great added a front dampener rides like a dream
Old 04-22-2008, 06:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
It didnt mind high speeds either...
what what what?!! What do ya mean it doesn't mind high speed either???
Old 04-22-2008, 06:47 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by wayoflife
what what what?!! What do ya mean it doesn't mind high speed either???
awh, I was following you....
Old 04-22-2008, 06:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
awh, I was following you....
Ummm, are you trying to say I drive fast?
Old 04-22-2008, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have a 4" TF system and it rides a little stiffer than stock, but not bad. it does have some bump steer but im hoping a drag link flip kit with track bracket will solve it. my castor is at 8 and i have a bd stablizer on it.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

2.5" RC BB with extensions..rides a bit stiffer than stock.. not bad at all though.. I did notice the higher center of gravity (obviously) when turning.

Quick Reply: lift kits and ride quality