Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Kits In Africa. Help!

Old 10-02-2009, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lift Kits In Africa. Help!

Hi fellow Jeepers

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa
Down here pretty much all lifts we have available is OME.

So anything I want I'm gonna have to import from the states at pretty heavy costs (exchange + shipping is a joke. Like our currency...)

Basically what I am looking at is the RE 4.5 for JK 4-door.
But then I saw what Project-JK did to 'Lil Nemo' and that grabbed my attention.

So what I need to know is should I bring in the RE 4.5 or do a OME 4.5 here for much cheaper?

I know they are two completely different setups, so basically what I'm asking is, is it worth bringing in the RE 4.5 or should I just pocket the cash and do the OME 4.5 here?

Thanks

Estian
Old 10-02-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

not sure how much more it would be to do the RE with all the exchange rates and everything so you should probably go with the OME. ive never heard anything bad about them and if they are readily available and cheaper i would say just go with OME
Old 10-02-2009, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are excellent kits and you would be happy with both. Seeing as the cost importing is prohibitive I think you should stick with the OME. You will be pleasantly surprised with how good it is. You may want to add a few extra little pieces hear and there to make it perfect to your needs, but you should be able to get them localy or at least they won't cost as much as importing the full kit.

South Africa has some weird issues with import/export. Admittedly I have never been there, but I have had to export a few parts for another vehicle from there. I was surprised how hard they make it to give them my money!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't mind the costs if it's really worth it. Cash aside, if I should bring in any lift kit, which should it be?

My LOD bumpers are already on their way
Old 10-02-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EstianSwanepoel
I don't mind the costs if it's really worth it. Cash aside, if I should bring in any lift kit, which should it be?

My LOD bumpers are already on their way
If money is no object I would personnaly go with the TeraFlex LCG 6" Long Arm.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Checked out the Teraflex 6"
Looks great! And for $3,515.99! Not bad at all!
Am I right in assuming 35's are gonna look a bit anorexic and 37's would be preferred? There any additional parts that I'll need to get with that kit?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

The TF 6" LCG kit is 100% complete nothing else needed, and your right, 35's will look small!

EDIT: I don't remeber if it comes with driveshafts or not, you will need to replace your stock ones.

Last edited by 09rubicon; 10-02-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Lift Kits In Africa. Help!