Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Kit/ Wheel Question

Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit/ Wheel Question

So this might come off as a dumb question but i am going to ask it anyway. I have a 2012 JK with a Teraflex leveling kit. I am currently running 295 70 R17 Nitto Trail grapplers with after market XD Addict wheels with i believe 4.5inch backspacing. I currently reside in a state (PA) where you can not have any tread sticking out past the fender flares. My tires currently stick about 1.5 inches out past the fender flare. I was thinking about going back to my stock rims but I see a lot of people use 1.5inch wheel spacers because of rubbing issues. So my question is this, If I were to return to stock wheels with 1.5 inch Wheel spacers would my tires stick out past my fender flares? And if they do stick out how far and is there any setup that I would be able to run those tires on stock wheels without them sticking out and rubbing? Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock is 6" BS so adding a 1.5" spacers takes you right back to 4.5" BS.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes they will stick out, and you will definitely need the spacers. Have you thought about going with a wider aftermarket fender flare?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Yea, I thought about wider fender flares, There is nothing that i currently like but I am thinking about getting a custom made set. A local 4x4 shop said that they could make me a set of metal flat fender flares. I wanted to make sure that there was no other way before I break the piggy bank. Thanks for the advice guys
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Or sell your addicts and get aev wheels and you'll be fine.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Stock is 6" BS so adding a 1.5" spacers takes you right back to 4.5" BS.
But a 9 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of BS is gonna stick out farther (2 inches) than a 7 inch wide wheel with an effective 4.5 inches of BS. (I believe the stock wheels are 7 inches wide??)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandell
But a 9 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of BS is gonna stick out farther (2 inches) than a 7 inch wide wheel with an effective 4.5 inches of BS. (I believe the stock wheels are 7 inches wide??)
The tread width on tire isn't going to change...
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't think that two inches of wheel width is gonna make a difference? With the same backspacing, the 9 inch wide wheel itself will stick out two inches farther. This is gonna pull the tire outward also. While the tread width isn't going to change, the sidewall buldge will.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeak
Yea, I thought about wider fender flares, There is nothing that i currently like but I am thinking about getting a custom made set. A local 4x4 shop said that they could make me a set of metal flat fender flares. I wanted to make sure that there was no other way before I break the piggy bank. Thanks for the advice guys
I would do this instead of sacrificing wheel and tire width.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wandell
You don't think that two inches of wheel width is gonna make a difference? With the same backspacing, the 9 inch wide wheel itself will stick out two inches farther. This is gonna pull the tire outward also. While the tread width isn't going to change, the sidewall buldge will.
It would be 1 inch. Because the wheel becomes larger in each direction of the hub

Last edited by mattbarton15; 02-21-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Lift Kit/ Wheel Question