Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift kit or Springs?

Old 12-26-2020, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit or Springs?

Merry Christmas to all!

I have a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon with 100,000 onroad miles and very light offroad, and I intend to install Falcon Series 2.1 Monotube shocks 1.5' - 2.5' lift.
Although the Jeep has 100,000 miles it doesn't sag. Should I combine the Falcon shocks with the Teraflex JK: 1.5” Performance Spacer Lift Kit or replace the springs with Old Man Emu springs?

Thank you,

D
Old 12-26-2020, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

100,000 miles? That would be an easy call to go with OME springs. My opinion, after having had multiple sets of factory coils, is that they're really done after 50-60k with weight or off-road use. You mentioned it's all highway but still- they've seen a lot of action and that steel isn't a lifetime item.

Is there any reason in particular you're looking at the Falcon shocks? I just ask you to keep folks away from the "because it's shiny" purchases. Falcon, fox, and someone else make a high dollar steering stabilizer but that doesn't mean that anyone needs it.
The following users liked this post:
doc5339 (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, chrome don't get you home, but does get you in the magazine.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for your feedback.
I will go for the OME springs. Any recommendation on shocks? why are you not in favor of the Falcons?
Old 12-26-2020, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

One mans "trash: is another mans "treasure".

Avoid the OEM coil springs get a set of the AEV or alterative which can be double rate, triple rate or progressive rate springs. 1.5-2.5 spring will suit your upgrade. However, just springs & shocks will not be enough. You will need to upgrade the track bar and include a track bar relocation bracket or brackets, Sway bar end links and possibly more. The Falcons will also suit this upgrade, But I would suggest upgrading to the piggyback double tube shocks, instead of the single tube. Avoid the Old Man emu system or TJM shocks.

BTW, I happen to like "Flashy" suspension components and will add more next spring.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

If you get OME coils get thens load lightest ones they make and match them up with the OME nitro sport shocks. Many people buy the HD coils which are made for really heavy vehicles and will give you extra height and a rougher ride on a lighter vehicle. Replacement coils for a stock height are hard to come by and you may be best to just get some late model factory take offs from a 4 door hard top jeep with a tow package or look for some from the Hard rock or recon edition. The Falcon shock are a bunch of hype the hit when they came out, now after a while in the wild the reviews for them are not that great. I guess if you want to smash rocks or bust out windshields with them they are the shocks to buy.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you all for your answers.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My build over the last four years started easy and cheap. $50 budget boost. Over time I purchased good condition lightly used stuff to “build” my lift kit. I got bds springs fox shocks, fox ats steering stabilizer and a bunch of other stuff for $325. From there I made bump stop pads, bought teraflex speed bumps as they were used and cheap $50. It took time and a lot of looking, but it’s allowed me to build my axles and put together a quality good riding lift and dump money on expensive new items. I wasn’t in a rush I learned the jeep wheeled it figured out what I needed and what I didn’t.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boat211:
Jay2013jk (12-28-2020), jimcob (12-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Lift kit or Springs?