Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which lift kit is right?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too run the BFG KM2 and have no problems. Just keep them balanced and they last
Old 07-27-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't had any problems with them but I haven't climbed rocks with em yet..... I wanna goto rouche creek park in pa but now I'm a lil nervous bout popping tires.... Things ain't cheap for 37" KM2's but I'm still gonna go out there... Gotta take risks when offroading! Lol
Old 07-28-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

When it comes down to is that the BFG mud terrian was developed as a mud tire. although it can be used for rock crawling it is not really ideal due too the side walls. I have used it all these years in the creek and river bottoms of Texas and they have served me well. If I was going to specifically rock crawl I would pick a different tire.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Bjl
JK Newbie

What up waxahachie, I moved to HB CA from there. Love the place but the weather here is nice.[/QUOTE]

Hey there. Yeah i bet the weather is nice over there, its triple digits for the week here
Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I figured it's the driver 90% of the time... But after so many ppl talking about popping them it made me nervous about going to Rausch Creek offroad park because of all the rock crawling I see being done in the videos from there.... I don't the extra cash just lying around for another 37X12.50R18 KM2........
Old 08-04-2012, 01:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution

you will not need to regear at all on the 2012. The motor has plenty of power. Whats your budget for a lift kit, and what do you plan on doing with your jeep? Fire roads, rock crawling or mostly highway?
When you guys installed the lift on my 2012, telling me not to regear was the biggest favor/money savor...been rolling 35s with my 3.21 gears and still have power to spare !
Old 08-04-2012, 02:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution

you will not need to regear at all on the 2012. The motor has plenty of power. Whats your budget for a lift kit, and what do you plan on doing with your jeep? Fire roads, rock crawling or mostly highway?
...and Chris for the win! You are the man, keeping it honest.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll get different opinions... This is my point of view:

If the Jeep is expected to 'really wheel', then I'd regard 4" lift, disconnect and 35"s as minimum.

I got a 2012 Rubi, so I have a disco' and 4.1 gearing.
I did not re-gear for the 35" wheels, and I don't lack power.
Below 4.1 the engine would certainly drink a bit more, but it'll take a l-o-n-g time for re-gearing to pay for itself by gas saving, if ever.

If you go for 4" lift (Full Traction on my Jeep), and "press it" off road, a 4-door needs a stronger front driveshaft.
Replacing both driveshafts is even better, but not obligatory.

35" (I use 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ) need proper backspacing and wider rims than the stock, especially when aired down.
Proper rim width also allows pleasant ride with 28~30 psi, while keeping the tread wear even (=longer tire life).

Your gate will "insist" that you mount the spare 35" on a wheel carrier, which means a new rear bumper.

4" lift also calls for longer travel shocks (I chose FOX w/ reservoir, re-valved to provide pleasant road ride & good off-road behavior).

One upgrade leads to another, so consider your budget first, and use a lower lift if you're not willing to invest in the whole package yet.

A Jeep is quite capable as is... whatever you decide, enjoy it

Last edited by GJeep; 08-04-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Default Different lifts

I have a similar problem as well. I am trying not to have to spend a fortune right away. I have a 12 unlimited and want a 3" lift to run 35's. I have heard good and bad about the 3 I am looking at. Zone, Rough Country, & Tuff Country? I do light wheeling mostly sand, gravel and bowls in the Indiana badlands. I am aware one upgrade leads to another but would like to start out slow. Please help!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

More often than not people criticize only negatively, it is less likely to get praise on the forums. Once someone has one rough experience with a product all they can do is trash it. Hell, I do it occasionally too. All I can say is good luck!

Quick Reply: Which lift kit is right?