Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift kit recommendations??? Airbag lifts??

Old 02-28-2017, 10:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit recommendations??? Airbag lifts??

Came across a JK today with airbag lifts? Wasn't able to ask many questions, because owner was busy. Does anyone have any information on this type of lift. She said she went with the airbags because she could lower her jeep to pull it in her garage.

What would this type of lift be called? Tried web search, but not sure what I'm looking for. Never had a vehicle lifted so I am new to this. Have tried to do my own research and watch videos, but it might as well be in a foreign language.

I have a 2016 JK sport. Please any advice would be appreciated. I was looking at 18-20 in wheels with 35" tires. I was initially wanting to go with a 3" lift, but wouldn't be able to pull my jeep in the garage.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xanda816
Came across a JK today with airbag lifts? Wasn't able to ask many questions, because owner was busy. Does anyone have any information on this type of lift. She said she went with the airbags because she could lower her jeep to pull it in her garage. What would this type of lift be called? Tried web search, but not sure what I'm looking for. Never had a vehicle lifted so I am new to this. Have tried to do my own research and watch videos, but it might as well be in a foreign language. I have a 2016 JK sport. Please any advice would be appreciated. I was looking at 18-20 in wheels with 35" tires. I was initially wanting to go with a 3" lift, but wouldn't be able to pull my jeep in the garage.
You don't need a lift to run 34s on your jk.

Maybe a light fender chop, that's all.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

She said she went with the airbags because she could lower her jeep to pull it in her garage.
That sounds like the biggest a$$whip.

Here's a jkowner's thread on em -

AiROCK installed!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Old 03-02-2017, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
That sounds like the biggest a$$whip. Here's a jkowner's thread on em - AiROCK installed!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Thanks this helps a lot
Old 03-02-2017, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560
You don't need a lift to run 34s on your jk. Maybe a light fender chop, that's all.
Thanks I'm thinking about just doing wheels and tires first. Just worried about picking a lift that'll make my wrangler drive like shit
Old 03-02-2017, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Thanks I'm thinking about just doing wheels and tires first. Just worried about picking a lift that'll make my wrangler drive like shit
Honestly, if you do it properly, it shouldn't drive like crap. The problem is a lot of people try to cut corners. Just do a lot of research, read the Dirtman's lift sticky at the top of the modified section. Realize that lifting a jeep isn't cheap.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Came across a JK today with airbag lifts? Wasn't able to ask many questions, because owner was busy. Does anyone have any information on this type of lift. She said she went with the airbags because she could lower her jeep to pull it in her garage.

What would this type of lift be called? Tried web search, but not sure what I'm looking for. Never had a vehicle lifted so I am new to this. Have tried to do my own research and watch videos, but it might as well be in a foreign language.

I have a 2016 JK sport. Please any advice would be appreciated. I was looking at 18-20 in wheels with 35" tires. I was initially wanting to go with a 3" lift, but wouldn't be able to pull my jeep in the garage.

There is a company called Off Road Only that does a suspension called the AiROCK which is an air bag suspension lift. AiROCK? ? OffRoadOnly. Not really our cup of tea but there are a couple of good reviews online, and I think Four Wheeler or Petersen's did a write up years ago on it and seemed to be down with it.

There are lots of good suspension lifts out there, but even more garbage. Don't take the cheap route, do it once and do it right and your JK will make you very happy.

We special in JKS Spec Suspension lifts here, we also deal in EVO. There's also Metal Cloak, Teraflex, AEV (if you like silly brackets) and Rock Krawler out there, all of them make good product. Can't lose either way. If you PM me I'd be happy to walk you through what to look for as far as components.

I would do a 2.5" lift. You can easily shove some 35" tires in there and be a happy camper. The thing that'll kill your mojo is gears. If you have 3.21 gears, I wouldn't do 35s. A 285/70/17 is the max because. If you lucked out and got 3.73 gears, you can do a larger tire. It'll handle a 35" with a power programmer but I would go slightly smaller, I like a 285/75/17 with 3.73s. If you really need a 35" tire (and who doesn't?) I would strongly recommend planning for a gear change to a 4.56 or even a 4.88 gear.

People run 35's with tall gears, some find it tolerable. We think that you have this nice Jeep you've spent all this money on, why not just finish it out and do it right? Also I'd stick to 17s. 18s are a smidge heavier but not enough o matter, but you're paying more per tire for less sidewall. I'd steer clear of 20's, they won't do you any favors.

Again, some might argue against this advice and do it differently, but you've got a nice shiny new Jeep, we say spend the extra money and do it right.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Honestly, if you do it properly, it shouldn't drive like crap. The problem is a lot of people try to cut corners. Just do a lot of research, read the Dirtman's lift sticky at the top of the modified section. Realize that lifting a jeep isn't cheap.
So far looks like a minimum of $6000. Not looking to cut corners at all. Don't want the headache later.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Presume you're talking $6k for the Airock which is completely redonk, both in form and price.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I absolutely love my MetalCloak game changer, half the price of the AirRock kit (which you still have to buy an air supply for it to work) and my jeep rides better then stock. Plus the advertised travel for the AirRock is 10" while the 3.5" game changer is 14". Really just depends though on what you want to do with your jeep.

Quick Reply: Lift kit recommendations??? Airbag lifts??