Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift kit question about AEV 3.5

Old 10-01-2012, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pregnant_Monk
I also just got the 3.5 AEV and if i had a choice to do it all again I would in a heart beat!!!
Which one do u have? Theres 2 different ones
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the 3.5" sc kit on mine since May and love it. Last time I looked, the two 3.5" kits only differed with shocks, reservoir vs non. I don't beat on mine enough to justify the more expensive reservoir shocks, so I cheaped out and spent that money elsewhere. Mine is a DD and the suspension is great for that and moderate trails. I will swap my front drive shaft one day, but since I don't flex it out to the extreme, I haven't damaged the boot yet. If you disconnect your sway bar, you will want to address the driveshaft / exhaust clearance issue. I assume you 2013 has the same problem as a 2012, maybe not. Call the guys at AEV and chat. They were helpful with my questions. It has proven to be a perfect kit for my needs and looks good on 35s

good luck with your choice!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Couldn't you have just went to aev site and looked at the differences? Maybe this is a dumb question?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by texascodmw3
I've had the 3.5" sc kit on mine since May and love it. Last time I looked, the two 3.5" kits only differed with shocks, reservoir vs non. I don't beat on mine enough to justify the more expensive reservoir shocks, so I cheaped out and spent that money elsewhere. Mine is a DD and the suspension is great for that and moderate trails. I will swap my front drive shaft one day, but since I don't flex it out to the extreme, I haven't damaged the boot yet. If you disconnect your sway bar, you will want to address the driveshaft / exhaust clearance issue. I assume you 2013 has the same problem as a 2012, maybe not. Call the guys at AEV and chat. They were helpful with my questions. It has proven to be a perfect kit for my needs and looks good on 35s

good luck with your choice!
So, I am guessing you didn't need to mess with exhaust spacers. From what I have heard, if you go with anything above 2.5" lift, spacers are a must. I too am leaning towards the 3.5" AEV rather than the 2.5"; let me know if there is anything I might need to add that isn't included in the suspension package (i.e. exhaust spacers). How about gas mileage? Currently stock I am getting roughly 19 mpg; is it a major difference with the 3.5" and 35's?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lost Dog
So, I am guessing you didn't need to mess with exhaust spacers. From what I have heard, if you go with anything above 2.5" lift, spacers are a must. I too am leaning towards the 3.5" AEV rather than the 2.5"; let me know if there is anything I might need to add that isn't included in the suspension package (i.e. exhaust spacers). How about gas mileage? Currently stock I am getting roughly 19 mpg; is it a major difference with the 3.5" and 35's?
The front DS and exhaust interference issue can be ignored for a bit if you don't really flex it, or have a shop insert a short droop section in the exhaust or replace the shaft with a cool new unit from Coast (or whoever) that clears. I don't know much about the spacers on a 2012, I'll let others speak to that option. I plan on the DS swap myself, but I keep spending my money on other mods since I don't wheel it hard, yet. If you never disconnected, you could likely be a mall crawler forever with no issue. But it is a Jeep, and one day you are likely to flex enough to allow the exhaust damage the DS boot, then get dirt in there and cause things to bind up. That's when the bad ju-ju sets in.

As for mileage, you'll lose some because of the heavier tires. We have special (poorer) gas formulations here in Houston due to emissions. Comparisons can be difficult. I get better mileage when I fill up a couple counties away. My last around-town tank got 14. I got 17.4 on a 2600 mile run to Silverton, CO including some good mountain trails.

If I may suggest, don't think about the mileage. Get the lift and tires you like. There isn't enough difference to worry over.

Good luck
Old 10-03-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you get the AEV lift download the instructions off the web. The directions in the box are old.

Also...read the directions it comes with too because they mention a few things not in the online directions.

With all that still be prepared to see washers mentioned and then left out sometimes and some contradicting torque numbers in the instructions vs the torque specs listed at the end of the directions. A few other things not 100% accurate.

I called them a couple weeks ago and pointed out the errors I found not sure if they fixed the instructions yet.

I like the 3.5 kit. You will need to fix the exhaust though or get a different front drive shaft. After the lift just sitting in the garage I have about .5" clearance between the two.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also, it tried the spacers, waste of money.

Also, I tried the afe y pipe. It rubs the manual transmission mount. I called them and the said they only tested it on an auto. How stupid is that?

Haven't tried shafts. Read where some people get complaints with double cardan shafts vs the repazza.
Search some forums and yo can see photos of AEV built jeeps that show how they just add a drop down in the exhaust at a local muffler shop. I think they should sell a bolt in piece that has this in it.
Rancho also make some exhaust fix I see but I know nothing about it.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good points above. The directions were a bit fuzzy at times and strained my brain and imagination. Also, my jeep has an auto trans.

Quick Reply: Lift kit question about AEV 3.5