Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift kit question

Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit question

I know nothing about lift kits so here is my question. I have a 2012 JKU with a TF leveling kit and 33" KM 2 tires. I was looking at the TF 2.5 lift kit and since I know nothing about lifts I was wondering if I will have to use adapters or longer shocks. I don't quite understand what backspacing and offset is but I understand using spacers on wheels is not the best idea. So will I have to use spacers on a 2.5" lift if I never plan to have larger tires.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If u get the tf 2.5", you will net 3" of lift but eventually the coils will sag back to 2.5. I had the same kit on my 12 jkur 6months ago. I also got the kit with shock extensions(which I still have mine and they are for sale) so u will need extensions or new shocks. Im still running my stock wheels with 1.5" spidertrax spacers, put 20k miles on them so far with no problems. Technically you will need new wheels with 4.5" back spacing or stock wheels with 1.5" spacers so the bolts from the sway bar links from the 2.5" lift won't stick into the side walls and your tires won't rub the frame up front while at full lock on the steering wheel
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KBennett2007
I know nothing about lift kits so here is my question. I have a 2012 JKU with a TF leveling kit and 33" KM 2 tires. I was looking at the TF 2.5 lift kit and since I know nothing about lifts I was wondering if I will have to use adapters or longer shocks. I don't quite understand what backspacing and offset is but I understand using spacers on wheels is not the best idea. So will I have to use spacers on a 2.5" lift if I never plan to have larger tires.
If you don't plan on using larger tires ever (you will) you wont need spacers. If you do go to larger tires (you will :-) )you'll most likely need spacers or new wheels with less back spacing. There are many people that run spacers and don't have problems that said I would personally never use spacers. I've seen and heard to many horror stories with spacers plus the increase the bearing load by moving the mounting surface out futher ( I know people say they don't anymore than offset wheel but they do, I had debate with 3 engineers about it till they showed me why).

Last edited by Tooadvanced; 05-22-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Lift kit question