Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift kit question

Old 04-27-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit question

Hi all! Was wondering if I can get away with putting on a 2 or 3" lift kit on my jeep and avoid using wheel spacers? I'm sporting BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A Lt285/75r16,s. And also which lift kit would i best benefit from? I do mild offloading and no rock climbing. I want it for comfort as well as looks. I would prefer a cost friendly kit that is still in good standing. Can anyone point me to a proper lift kit? my jeep is stock with only minor mods (Much more to come) such as bumper, wheels and tires. No other mods. I know nothing about these things but i do know I want to lift the suspension and not the body. I was thinking coil spacers and shocks but i could be wrong

Hope I've added enough info,

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the tires fit now, they will fit after the lift. The reason for spacers is twofold. To get bigger, wider tires on and to widen the stance to help with the higher center of gravity caused by the lift.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can go with what ever lift you want and won't have to use wheel spacers if they fit with out a lift they will fit with a lift if you was going bigger and wider tires then we could tell you more
Old 04-27-2013, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Collyn
If the tires fit now, they will fit after the lift. The reason for spacers is twofold. To get bigger, wider tires on and to widen the stance to help with the higher center of gravity caused by the lift.
He's right.

Teraflex among others make spacer lifts that would suit your needs. A leveling kit would probably be best for your situation.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recommend a spring lift with shocks. There are many options available in a 2.5" lift, which is all you will need for your size tires and what you do with your Jeep, without a lot of other mods/upgrades.

I have the Skyjacker 2.5" spring lift, with Skyjacker soft ride shocks, JKS front track bar, a rear track bar bracket and JKS quick disconnects. 285/70/17 BFG all terrain. It's my DD and i stick to the backwoods trails. No rocks, no deep mud.

If you are going to install wheel spacers, do yourself a favor and get the good ones; Poison Spider or Synergy. You can get these for about $100 an axle. And one could argue that if you're going to spend $200 on spacers, you might as well spend $375 on rims with 3.75 backspacing that won't need spacers.

As my Jeep sits now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130427_185002.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	451735
Old 04-27-2013, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SBEII

He's right.

Teraflex among others make spacer lifts that would suit your needs. A leveling kit would probably be best for your situation.
True dat! LOL
If budget is an issue, go with a Teraflex leveling kit!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Even if its not an issue, the teraflex is a great setup for people who are not 1. rock crawling, 2. beating on their jeeps regularly, 3. Do not want to run massive tires and want to keep some drivability on the street. My jeep with the TF leveling kit and 33's is a great setup, looks beefier than other jeeps in town and works great off road. I added spacers and they were worth every penny.

OEM plus look!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys! I have spacers on right now. I've never tried these tires without the spacers. i was hoping to get rid of the spacers due to trust issues. I don't feel safe with them on. Just recently I had to balance my tires only to find two threaded studs on the spacers were nearly broke off, I had to replace the studs. Last summer I had no wobble issues and this year wobbles from hell, hence the balancing. I realize that maybe the garage who put them on before the balancing might have torked to hard or whatever but I have never felt safe since I put them on. The spacers are rough country and are aluminium. I feel the studs are low quality metal. But could be wrong. Any of you have any input or advice on spacers? Am I over paranoid? If so I may just have the studs replaced and leave them on.
I do love the wide stance tho!

My concern about a lift kit is not wanting to go too high so that it looks goofy with my BFG 285's... But being high enough to gain comfort and still look decent...
Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Just saw all the replies after I posted this. Very helpful indeed!

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Lift kit question