Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift kit and keeping the rake?

Old 11-08-2013, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit and keeping the rake?

I've been researching different lifts and have pretty much narrowed it down to one of the Rock Krawler 2.5"- probably the max travel system from Northridge. Pretty much all the kits I've seen will level the JK. I hunt and lots of times will have a hitch haul platform hanging off the rear with up to 150+ pounds on it. With the stock suspension now, it will put a good sag in the rear with weight on it. Are the RK springs stiff enough to not sag when loaded up? Or should I throw a small spacer in the rear? Any suggestions would be great.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good question.

I heavily researched lifts this past month because I run front and rear winches and my current kit could not cut it. I ended up with an AEV 3.5" SC kit - it was the only one I could find with true progressive rate springs, and one that the lift size is rated with weight on the Jeep. In other words, the 3.5" is with their steel bumper, tire carrier, a 37" tire, 10 gallons of fuel, Hi-Lift, Pull-pal and an antenna on the Jeep - not one with the stock plastic bumper.

I finished installing it Wednesday this week and I can say it lived up to the hype. I gained 1" of lift over my old 4" kit and the ride is fantastic on and off road.

Last edited by SiliconTi; 11-10-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Are you going to be hauling other weight in the cargo area as well? You might want to load up your jk with what you think you will have on it weight wise and hit a scale to see how much actual weight you will have on the rear axle. I don't know if anyone knows the actual coil rate of the RK coils. Old Man Emu has several different coils to handle different weights so they may be an option for you as well.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JKS and Procomp kits keep rake. old man emu has a heavy spring kit for rake.

I would go with RK with a rear spacer. RK springs ride nice and are sag free. Im running procomp 2.5 front/rear with 1 inch spacers for 3.5 total. With bumpers and winch, no sag and actually rides decent with some fine tuning.

Last edited by courtsm3; 11-08-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:08 AM
JK Freak

I run rk3.5" and they sag pretty good when I tow a two place ATV trailer. Not sure on tongue weight of it but I would say maybe 150-200 lbs.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

That being said, it always goes back after the trailer is detached.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pontiac31
That being said, it always goes back after the trailer is detached.
Always heard RK's held up to weight.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

I tow my 17ft jet sled with a 2.5 RK kit all the time with minor sage in the real. I like a little rake so added the RK rear spring wedge that corrects the spring angle and adds just a touch if rear lift over the front.
Love the ride of my RK lift.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
Good question.

I heavily researched lifts this past month because I run front and rear winches and my current kit could not cut it. I ended up with an AEV 3.5" SC kit - it was the only one I could find with true progressive rate springs, and one that the lift size it rated with weight on the Jeep. In other words, the 3.5" is with their steel bumper, tire carrier, a 37" tire, 10 gallons of fuel, Hi-Lift, Pull-pal and an antenna on the Jeep - not one with the stock plastic bumper.

I finished installing it Wednesday this week and I can say it lived up to the hype. I gained 1" of lift over my old 4" kit and the ride is fantastic on and off road.
Hey could post a picture of your rear winch? I have a friend who's looking to add a rear winch

Matthew
Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the TeraFlex 4" 8 arm lift and was nice and level with a winch on the front after I rotated the rear axle spring perches. Then I went Synergy 4.5 springs F&R and got the rake. I could have gone with the 3.5 in the rear and been level, but the wife really likes the rake while driving and me spotting. Says she can see so much better..

Quick Reply: Lift kit and keeping the rake?