Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift kit info...

Old 06-21-2014, 09:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit info...

Hello there! I am new to the whole jeep world. I am about to purchase a lift kit for my 08 JKU and I'm torn between 2, so gimme your opinions or experiences. First is the teraflex 2.5" budget boost, second the trail master 3" kit with springs. I expect the springs to sag to about 2.5" which is where I want to be, but will I also get sag from the spacers? There is about only a $60 difference but why spend more than necessary, plus then I could buy more stuff. I am going towards more of an overland build so I am not worried about the shock travel and I'll basically be running stock rubi tires, just need a little more ground clearance. Thanx for the input- Steve
Old 06-21-2014, 09:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by XsteveedgeX
Hello there! I am new to the whole jeep world. I am about to purchase a lift kit for my 08 JKU and I'm torn between 2, so gimme your opinions or experiences. First is the teraflex 2.5" budget boost, second the trail master 3" kit with springs. I expect the springs to sag to about 2.5" which is where I want to be, but will I also get sag from the spacers? There is about only a $60 difference but why spend more than necessary, plus then I could buy more stuff. I am going towards more of an overland build so I am not worried about the shock travel and I'll basically be running stock rubi tires, just need a little more ground clearance. Thanx for the input- Steve
Spacers are solid so no way for them to sag
Old 06-22-2014, 12:20 AM
JK Newbie

Well yes, but I have no idea. For all know they compress after a while. This is why I am asking. Never lifted anything before. Maybe opinions on which would ride better...
Old 06-22-2014, 12:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XsteveedgeX
Well yes, but I have no idea. For all know they compress after a while. This is why I am asking. Never lifted anything before. Maybe opinions on which would ride better...
a spacer goes ontop of your spring so unless your spring sags you cant get sag from a spacer
Old 06-22-2014, 12:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Just order the TF 2.5" BB with adapters and call it a day. (a 2.5" lift, and you were planning on running the short stock shocks?)

Unless you plan to really weigh down your jeep? Then look in to stiffer coils instead of spacers.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-22-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 AM
JK Newbie

Ok, I just didn't know if the ride was better one way or another. And yeah I was gonna run stock shocks. I was told that longer shocks will only help with downward travel of the axle and since I am more of an over lander than a rock crawler I wasn't too worried. But this is why I welcome opinions...
Old 06-22-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed the TF 2.5 BB on my 2010 about 3 months ago, no issues, I enjoy the ride. Gave me the extra lift I wanted. Good value for the results. I had watched the forum for quite a while and the TF got good comments regularly. I can't talk about the other brand.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Not near enough information has been provided to answer your questions and I doubt if you are really building an expedition type vehicle you would want either choice that is offered. Fill out your profile so people can see what you have and give some more info about what you plan to do as far as off roading and driving styles. A budget target would also be helpful in planning a build. IMO the lift will be one of the last things that you look into for an expedition vehicle. I don't see a lot of expedition type trails in central Indiana, are you looking to build a rig for comfortable traveling across the country then hit those long trails? Or are you building something to take to Badlands park for weekend wheeling trips? Is this a daily driver or a dedicated trail rig? The more info you can give the better we can answer your questions. There are also stickies and a search function to help with your research.

Good luck with the build.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

What dirtman said.. instead of looking for a lift. Maybe do other things and use your rig as it is now and figure out what kind of lift you want after you use it. That will determine what you want. They do have 1.5" kits with short arms. Which net about 2". And the ride is great and they arent all that espensive either.

Cheers!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:19 AM
JK Newbie

Dirt man, that may be one of the best posts I have ever read. After work I will work to better describe exactly what I want out of my jeep. I wanna build it right the first time and not have to keep redoing things. More to come...

Quick Reply: Lift kit info...