Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Kit Help

Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit Help

Hey Guys,
Iam a Jeep newbie here and I was hoping I could get some help for my newly purchased Jeep. I have an 08 2dr X. What Iam looking to purchase is a set of Pro Comp Radial Xtreme A/T 305x65x17 on my stock wheels. Now my question is what lift kit do I need? I also plan on purchasing a Warn PowerPlant HP. Should I keep the stock bumper for now or just go ahead and order a new one. I was looking at the Warn Rock Crawler. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanx
Justin
Old 04-07-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by FSUNAV
Hey Guys,
Iam a Jeep newbie here and I was hoping I could get some help for my newly purchased Jeep. I have an 08 2dr X. What Iam looking to purchase is a set of Pro Comp Radial Xtreme A/T 305x65x17 on my stock wheels. Now my question is what lift kit do I need? I also plan on purchasing a Warn PowerPlant HP. Should I keep the stock bumper for now or just go ahead and order a new one. I was looking at the Warn Rock Crawler. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanx
Justin
Well, to go from a stock tire of 32.1" to a new tire of 32.6" (The diameter of the tire you quoted above), you are only getting a 1/2" larger tire than the stock size....which will only protrude upwards about 0.25" more than the stock size....

So...you do not need any lift at all....most people can run a 33" tire with no lift at all, and a 32.6" tire would fit that category as a nominal 33" tire.

As for the width, that 305 mm tire is about a 12.1" section width.

Most people run a 1.5" wheel spacer to fit a 12.5" section width tire...so, the stock backspacing of 6.25" might be a tad too tight to not get some rub from the tire width....although a LOT of people seem to get by with the 305's and no rub, or with just a little (free) adjustement of the turn stop bolts...instead of getting wheel spacers, or new rims with less back spacing, etc.....but you are on the cusp of that issue.

For a front bumper, for a 9,500 lb capacity winch that weighs over 100 lb, etc...I think I'd mount a Shrockworks stubby up there, instead of the Warn, or the stock bumper and mounting plate....as the Shrock comes (Standard/Included in price) with a 3/8" steel Skid Plate .... from the bumper down, whereas that area would be vulnerable otherwise (Stock bumper), or with a mere (Optional/Extra Cost) 1/8" or 10 gauge sheet metal skid at best (Warn, etc...).

So - you do not NEED a lift to fit those tiny tad taller tires.

You MIGHT need to adjust your turn stop bolts out a smidge to prevent rub on turns due to the slightly extra width....and/or add wheel spacers....or rims with less BS, etc.

Food for thought, add a 1" Body Lift, and or a 2.5" Suspension Lift, and 35" tall tires fit.

Hope that's helpful!

Last edited by TEEJ; 04-07-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

That helps a lot TEEJ. One more question though. Do I need to get a lift with shocks or not.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

That helps a lot TEEJ. One more question though. Do I need to get a lift with shocks or not.
You mean for the lift you don't need?

Hmmm....

If you are a poser mall crawling flat lander....but, want to be taller to compensate for your smaller, um, jeep......the extensions are fine.

If you actually intend on offroading, and trying to drive places where your tires will need some help following the terrain.....I'd get longer shocks instead of extenders.

The 2.5" TF BB comes with the same shocks as its 4" lift kit....and provides a decent way to get some more flex out of the beast. That way, the height is not all poser height....it gave some offroad benefit as well.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Hey Guys,

Thanx
Justin
TEEJ has covered the lift and tire portion.

Check out the sticky thread under modified tech: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/

It will give you a good understanding of what tires/wheel and lift combos will work for your JK.

IMO if you plan to get a Warn PP you might as well order the bumper now. There are a lot of quality front bumpers out there that will fit the Warn PP. Awhile back another forum member wrote a nice FB comparison. Check out: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...per+comparison

I am partial to the Shrockworks FB, it will accommodate the Warn PP. They are a sponsor/vendor on this site, check them out. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Lift Kit Help