Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift kit drawbacks?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit drawbacks?

I'd like to start my first post by thanking y'all for running such a great forum! I have been creeping this site for a while and love discussion and pictures.

I am considering a lift kit between 2.5 and 3.5 inches on a four door because I love the way it looks. I do not intend to offroad (I am an admitted poser) and would use this as my daily driver.

What sort of compromise should I expect in order to look cool?

How severely is handling impacted?

Are there some lift kits that are intended for street use over offroad use?

Thanks for helping a noob!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Read "what is caster? how much do I need?" in the Suspension FAQ's.

On-road only, that and axle centering are you biggest considerations. After that, longer rear links and maybe run to the hardware store and make some brackets for the brake lines. Depending on model, the driveshafts could also be a concern, so figure out which components are needed if/when you need to replace.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I probably can't give you the best answers because ride quality depends upon the person, not just the lift.

I think generally the more parts on the lift kit the nicer the ride, especially offroad. For on-road use you can get away with a lot less parts, but you will never feel stock-like.

I assume you are looking at 35" tires with an agressive tread for the looks. So it will be a lot noiser than stock. It will also feel more "truck like" than a stock jeep. I recently drove a 2011 Rubi and it felt a lot more like a car than my 2 1/2" lifted 09 X. In all it doesn't bother me.

Buy a basic lift without too many extras. If you do a coil lift with new shocks. You won't need front disconnects, bump stops, and a new front drive shaft (lifted 4 door autos tend to rub the driveshafts when flexing). Front lower control arms you can use or live without too. A adjustable track bars are nice to recenter the axles.

Also if you go with 35" you may still want to sleeve and gusset your front axle housing. Also gears may be added to your want list. With 35s you will feel a big loss of power.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrillhouse28
I am considering a lift kit between 2.5 and 3.5 inches on a four door because I love the way it looks. I do not intend to offroad (I am an admitted poser) and would use this as my daily driver.

What sort of compromise should I expect in order to look cool?

How severely is handling impacted?

Are there some lift kits that are intended for street use over offroad use?

Thanks for helping a noob!
welcome to jk-forum!

regarding your question, if you're just looking for looks, i might recommend that you get a 2.5" budget boost, adjustable front track bar and maybe a 1" body lift if extra clearance is really needed. if you feel that your jeep handles a bit flighty after the fact, install a set of adjustable front lower control arms and add a bit more positive caster. this can all be done for a reasonable cost and it will give you the look you want and without any real compromises.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dirtman nailed it! Once you start, you get lift envy and then the wife starts to ask questions. I would flat fender it and call it good.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The medical term for what u are experiencing is Lift Envy. We all experience it from time to time and secretly always want just a little more....currently i am broke so no worries of debit charges at teraflex.......today!

Quick Reply: Lift kit drawbacks?