Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Kit Advice

Old 12-17-2012, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2.5 BB is a great lift for a DD. Get wheels with 4.5 backspacing and 35s will run with no rub!!

here is a pic of mine with 2.5 BB 35's Sorry for bad quality
Click image for larger version

Name:	stock.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	399352

Here is how it sits now with 5 in lift

Click image for larger version

Name:	installed lift.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	399353
Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz
2.5 BB is a great lift for a DD. Get wheels with 4.5 backspacing and 35s will run with no rub!!

here is a pic of mine with 2.5 BB 35's Sorry for bad quality
Attachment 399352

Here is how it sits now with 5 in lift

Attachment 399353
I was debating on getting the skyjacker 5inch lift for my 2door, your rig looks sweet. Are you gonna throw 37's on there?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by djegolfpro
I was debating on getting the skyjacker 5inch lift for my 2door, your rig looks sweet. Are you gonna throw 37's on there?
Hey thanks!

Seems to be question everyone is asking.. I thought about it, but i kinda like how it looks with all the fender room.

This pic is on the curb so other side shows even more clearence!

Plus the girlfriend is already complaining that she has to Jump to get in now

Just ordered my "Jack it up, fat chicks cant jump" sticker (she likes that part of it)
Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Tonka with my budget I'm looking for a lift that is good for its price which is anywhere from $400 to $600. Then on tires I'm debating whether to get bf Goodrich a/t a set of 4 or general tire grabbers and there gonna run me $950 on tirerack. So now I'm around $1300 to $1500. Also, I'm not sure yet if I should keep my stock rims or buy new ones. So if I buy 4 rims for now, I might be able to stay under my budget.

Thank you Tonka for your input as well I will look into the Teraflex kit.
For $400-600 you aren't going to find many complete kits. If your going to do the TF 2.5 coil I'd recommend you add bilstein 5100 shocks and at least an adjustable front trackbar. LCA's would be nice too but now your looking at over $1000 already and that's a pretty standard entry level kit. I'd do as someone else already suggested and save up a little bit more first. 35's and wheels is going to cost you another 1500-$2000 so now your looking at 3k. Oh and don't forget your now going to need a ProCal or a tuner to adjust your rig's computer module so add another $150-500 depending on what you buy. I'd hold off a bit and build the budget up, it'll be worth it in the long run.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

I have a brand new still in the box rubicon express long arm lift kit with extras cvf driveshaft, monotube shocks forsale . you can fit up to 37'' . It was right at 4,300 for everything shipped to my door and im asking 2,500. my phone is 618-841-3184 if anyone is interested
Old 12-21-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher

For $400-600 you aren't going to find many complete kits. If your going to do the TF 2.5 coil I'd recommend you add bilstein 5100 shocks and at least an adjustable front trackbar. LCA's would be nice too but now your looking at over $1000 already and that's a pretty standard entry level kit. I'd do as someone else already suggested and save up a little bit more first. 35's and wheels is going to cost you another 1500-$2000 so now your looking at 3k. Oh and don't forget your now going to need a ProCal or a tuner to adjust your rig's computer module so add another $150-500 depending on what you buy. I'd hold off a bit and build the budget up, it'll be worth it in the long run.
Spiced I appreciate your advice. Right now I'm looking a starter kit then eventually building it. That's why I decided right now to go with the Teraflex 2.5 coil spring lift the 4dr model which will give me an additional inch on my 2dr. I will eventually get the control arms and bilstein shocks. As of right now, I'll get that lift and skyjacker shocks and then save up for bilstein shocks. Ill will be getting 35's in either Kelly Safari TSR or Falken Wild Peak's because its mainly gonna be 90% DD and 10% off. With all this I should be at around $2000 which I have saved up for. Next month I'll install all this with a couple of buddies and a rack of beer. Lol
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Just ordered my RC 3.5 lift kit and I got 37's on the way. Project Creepin' is under way
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just ordered my RC 3.5 lift kit and I got 37's on the way. Project Creepin' is under way
Do yourself a favor and change your order before it ships. If you don't do these substitutions now, you will end up paying twice--once now for an inferior design and once later to replace the problems.

Skip the front trackbar relocation bracket and drop pitman arm, and substitute in an adjustable front trackbar. A drop pitman arm on an unbraced steering box while running 37s is a very inferior design. I've personally seen multiple different JKs twist and break their steering box sector shaft on the trail with this design. They were completely stuck with no steering until they could replace the entire steering box with a new one--not a fun trail repair.

Substitute in front lower adjustable control arms and skip the fixed front lower arms so that you can adjust your caster and cross-caster alignment specs. Cambolts are a bad idea for a jeep that goes offroad, and with larger tires, adjustability is important.

If you going to run 37s with stock flares, substitute in 4" front and rear extended bumpstops. Otherwise, you will have to supplement or replace what is in the RC 3.5" kit.

If you are going to run flat flares, know that you can use the bumpstops they send in the 3.5" kit, but you will need to do some work with a sawsall in your rear fender wells.

Also, know that you are getting what you paid for with RC. If you do the above substitutions, it will save you some frustration and money.

Contact the RC rep on the Forum. If he is the same guy as in years past, he is a good guy and will help you out. He offers a discount if you order directly from him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by planman; 01-17-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you! I will look into that pronto. I really appreciate it
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

Thank you! I will look into that pronto. I really appreciate it
Planman gives solid advice.

Quick Reply: Lift Kit Advice