Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift kit for 33's

Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit for 33's

Hey everyone, Classic question I guess...

I recently purchased my first Jeep, an NGP 2011 JK Unlimited Sport. I would like to upgrade to 33's but after reading tons of posts, I am stumped on the best way to go to clear them.

I plan to drive 95% on road and some off-road once in a while on the weekends. I mostly want to get a more aggressive look. I am also looking at XD Monsters for wheels and need to determine the proper offset/backspacing.

Should i get a Teraflex leveling kit? BDS 2"? The local lift shop says BDS is the best. It seems tons of people on JK-Forum run the Teraflex though. Is there a better choice? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can absolutely run 33s with no rubbing, either when cornering or at full flex. At least with these skinny tires. Stock suspension, but wheels with 4.75" backspacing.

The problem is that most people just want cool looking tires, which to them is wide. That's fine, but then you will need spacers or wheels with around 4.5" of backspacing, depending on just how wide those tires are. Under full flex a wide tire may not fit into the fender. A small lift or leveling kit can fix that, or you can cut your fenders and keep your stock height.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Ran the TF budget boost with shock extensions for a year and a half. That worked fine for me and my 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2. Replaced it with an OME standard spring suspension, as I had run that on my previously owned TJ and was very happy with it.

The OME system on my JK is great. The ride is very good on the road, and it is more than up to the off roading I do. Take a good look at OME. You'd probably want to go up to the next higher spring rate since you have an unlimited, but I would recommend them highly. Give David @ Northridge a call. Let him know what you're trying to accomplish, he will give you lots of good advice.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ran the Teraflex leveling kit with 33's on a 2-door, same reasons as you - wanted *slightly* aggressive look yet still enough performance for 90% daily driving and mild weekend wheeling. With appropriate backspacing on the rims (I think mine were 4.5"), no rubbing, no problems, great mild aggressive look. At least for my tire (Dick Cepek FC II, 285/75r16, which is 11.5" wide). For the price and ease of installation, I don't think you can beat it (TF kit about $130, plus rims and tires), and no need to adjust anything other than the computer to compensate for the new tire size (I used AEV ProCal about $150). You can even get away without recentering your steering wheel or adjusting the track bar. I'll be glad to post a photo later today to this thread. Hit me up with more questions if you got them and I'll be glad to help, sounds like we were going for a similar goal. In my case I had 3.21's with the 33's on a 6-speed. Not recommended, it was a slug. Went to 32's and it did mostly okay but not great. In my experience 32's really need to be on a 4.10 (on a 6-speed), minimum... ideally 4.56 for daily driving. For 33's I would aim for 4.88. But if you don't want to / can't afford to regear right now, 33's will get by on a 4.10, 6-speed.

Is your ride an auto or 6-speed? What axle gear ratio?

If you go to 33's, especially on an auto, it might run a little sluggish, especially if you have anything less (lower number) that 4.10 gears. Check the gear charts (make sure you're looking at right one, auto vs manual), hit me up if you've got questions.... been there, doing that!

Last edited by mostlystock; 06-01-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: added vehicle details
Old 06-01-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I only have a 2 inch budget boost and I'm running 33x12.50's on a 9 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of BS and I don't have any rubbing.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

I have a 2011 Rubi Unlimited, and I installed the Teraflex coil and shock lift, 2.5", and run 33's with no issues at all. Ride is still great, and no problems with clearance off road.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mostlystock
I ran the Teraflex leveling kit with 33's on a 2-door, same reasons as you - wanted *slightly* aggressive look yet still enough performance for 90% daily driving and mild weekend wheeling. With appropriate backspacing on the rims (I think mine were 4.5"), no rubbing, no problems, great mild aggressive look. At least for my tire (Dick Cepek FC II, 285/75r16, which is 11.5" wide). For the price and ease of installation, I don't think you can beat it (TF kit about $130, plus rims and tires), and no need to adjust anything other than the computer to compensate for the new tire size (I used AEV ProCal about $150). You can even get away without recentering your steering wheel or adjusting the track bar. I'll be glad to post a photo later today to this thread. Hit me up with more questions if you got them and I'll be glad to help, sounds like we were going for a similar goal. In my case I had 3.21's with the 33's on a 6-speed. Not recommended, it was a slug. Went to 32's and it did mostly okay but not great. In my experience 32's really need to be on a 4.10 (on a 6-speed), minimum... ideally 4.56 for daily driving. For 33's I would aim for 4.88. But if you don't want to / can't afford to regear right now, 33's will get by on a 4.10, 6-speed.

Is your ride an auto or 6-speed? What axle gear ratio?

If you go to 33's, especially on an auto, it might run a little sluggish, especially if you have anything less (lower number) that 4.10 gears. Check the gear charts (make sure you're looking at right one, auto vs manual), hit me up if you've got questions.... been there, doing that!
Thanks for your reply. I have an Auto, but will need to check the gear ratio.

Quick Reply: Lift kit for 33's