Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Installed, Alignment?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Installed, Alignment?

Last night (with the help of my buddy) we swapped my JK Sport springs 14/57 to 18/59 and Rubicon springs along with the Pro Comp (Daystar Comfort Lift) 1.75" Spacer lift. Looks like I gained around 3", I forgot to take before measurements

Didn't run into many issues, the ESP light came on after we adjusted the drag link. After a few more tweeks it went off and drives great, no DW or rattles but my steering wheel is slightly off center.

I'm assuming most (if not all) guys do an alignment after adding a lift? Do people do a front end only, or a 4-wheel alignment?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by p1llar
Last night (with the help of my buddy) we swapped my JK Sport springs 14/57 to 18/59 and Rubicon springs along with the Pro Comp (Daystar Comfort Lift) 1.75" Spacer lift. Looks like I gained around 3", I forgot to take before measurements

Didn't run into many issues, the ESP light came on after we adjusted the drag link. After a few more tweeks it went off and drives great, no DW or rattles but my steering wheel is slightly off center.

I'm assuming most (if not all) guys do an alignment after adding a lift? Do people do a front end only, or a 4-wheel alignment?
No such thing has a front end only alignment, even though there is nothing to adjust in the rear other than your track bar if you have a aftermarket one they still need to put the sensors on the wheels.

And yes I would get one.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noxian
No such thing has a front end only alignment, even though there is nothing to adjust in the rear other than your track bar if you have a aftermarket one they still need to put the sensors on the wheels.

And yes I would get one.
Thanks for the reply.

Lots of shops offer a two wheel alignment in Winnipeg for around $45-$50 and a 4-wheel alignment for $70+
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by p1llar

I'm getting ready to basically do the same lift to my 12' jk Rubi, but going with 18/59s and teraflex leveling kit. Sure would like to see some pics!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear you got them installed. Definitely get an alignment and make sure they center your steering wheel. Off center steering sends the wrong message to your traction control system.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Alignments

Anytime, let me repeat again anytime you change or readjust anything that has to do with your suspension, get a realiginment done. It will save you from the heartache later.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

You should really read the writes up in this forum on how to recenter your steering wheel. WayOfLife did a pretty damn good write-up on a home alignment.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 05-09-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I always get it aligned after any work on my suspension. I pay for unlimitted alignments.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CBrNoMore
Good to hear you got them installed. Definitely get an alignment and make sure they center your steering wheel. Off center steering sends the wrong message to your traction control system.
Thanks again for the good deal

With regards to the wheel being off center:

We set of the drag link and had the wheel dead centered, we went for a test drive and the traction lights came on. We had to adjust the drag link an 8th of turn and it corrected the traction lights and the car drives good, but the wheel is ever so slightly off.

Quick Reply: Lift Installed, Alignment?